1964 Merc 650 Powerhead removal?

Marlinman10

Seaman
I can't post pictures but under the small wrap around cowl there are some nuts that you need to take off to get the powerhead off but there are also screws in there. Do any of these screws need to come out. I got two long ones out on the right side but can't seem to be able to get anymore out. I hope you know what I'm trying to say. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• DSC02303.JPG
    DSC02303.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 0

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1964 Merc 650 Powerhead removal?

scan0001.jpg

Marlinman10

Seaman

Thanks,
I have everything external off it. No carbs,fuel pumps,starter,dist ect. Only thing I can tell is I haven't done anything with the shift tube. I'll check that out. Thanks

Marlinman10

Seaman

There's nothing left to unbolt and it won't come loose. Is this common? Are they often stuck? Any other ideas? Thank You

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have you taken down the lower unit? Sometimes the shaft can be seized to the powerhead. My powerhead was a bugger to get off! I took an xacto saw and carefully cut the gasket between the exhaust housing and the power head in several places. Then I wedged popsicle sticks in the openings. I sprayed PB Blaster in the openings to soften the gaskets. I did this all around the gasket. Next, I got a Painter's pry bar, it has a very thin leading edge, was able to get in the openings an give it a jiggle. Once again ,working all the way around the assembly. Keep adding shims were possible. It's important to come up evenly. Cut away as much gasket as you can see. Also spray more penetrating fluid on the studs. It's tedious, but it might save you form cutting a hole in the mid section.

Ed

emckelvy

Commander

Be sure you got the very front (2) powerhead-mounting nuts. The ones that usually won't come off the stud until the powerhead breaks free from its base.

If you screw these (2) nuts down such that they're flush with the end of their stud, you can pry upwards with a large flatblade screwdriver or appropriate prying tool.

If the powerhead studs are salted, they'll bind up and hinder removal. Tap each one lightly with a metallic tool and see if the stud 'pings'. If it doesn't it's probably stuck and you'll likely need a combination of head and penetrant to bust it loose.

Try prying from the front and see if that breaks 'er loose. Sometimes it's just old, stuck gasket and there's really no good prying points for the powerhead except for those (2) studs in the front.

HTH & G'luck..........ed