1964 johnson 9.5 exhaust under hood

lisitza

Cadet
runs with hood off stalls with hood on must be exhaust leek wre would it come from what would i have to do to repair thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 johnson 9.5 exhaust under hood

Are you referring to running it in the driveway only or on the water as well?

D

DJ

Most likely, it is the tube that goes between the mid section and the outer shell of the mid section.

That tube can rot and it forces exhaust into the cowl.

The part number is: 0309830

I do not know if it still available from the dealer.

If not Google: Twin City Outboard.

lisitza

Cadet

that would be on the boat in the water

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That 309830 pleated exhaust outlet tube previously mentioned is a prime suspect. That is the exhaust relief outlet where you see exhaust and water blowing out the back when it is running.
Others are:
1. The seal on top of the water pump housing may be missing. Has the water pump been apart lately? If this seal is missing it will smoke out the running big time.

2. The rubber bellows seal around the shift rod may be shot. You can't even see this one, but it is a prime suspect. And no longer made.

3. The same seal (#2) also seals the water tube, but the shift rod part will cause trouble long before the water tube part.

4. The rubber donut flap between the inner and outer midsections will allow rising exhaust bubbles to enter the cover at idle speeds in neutral gear. This part is usually the first to receive blame but is usually not the cause. When in gear and at any speed, the exhaust is buried in the prop wake and rises far behind the boat.

5. These motors sometimes corrode a hole through the bottom of the exhaust manifold.

Repairs range from simple/easy to extremely difficult, depending on which problem you have.

Shako

Recruit

Same issue here. 1964 9.5hp evinrude runs greats on the lake with the hood off but chokes to 15% or so power with it on. When i turn off the motor and hit any waves i can hear a suction like noise coming from the lower unit. So i think im on the right track by thinking that i need to replace the large gasket/motor mount(??) right below the motor head leading to the lower unit. Does this sound like a possible fix or should i be looking at the suggestions above??

First post here, thanks in advance

Jeff.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You might try running it in a barrel and squirting a little extra oil in carb and watch for excessive smoke. Might show you whats blown.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I have a 65 but don't have the exhaust problem. I was told that the old timer motor mechanics would drill 4 holes through the top of the cowl near the carb to allow air into the motor, problem is that big rubber leg gasket is getting hard to find, food for thought.

Shako

Recruit

Tried drilling holes in the cowl, think thats why it blew off on the freeway recently :) but either way didnt seem to affect the preformance, for me at least. No excessive smoke that i noticed in the barrel. Think its just time to start pullin it apart or another trip to TCO
'
Thanks guys

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as said the hose from the block out the lower cowl is highly suspect.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Same issue here. 1964 9.5hp evinrude runs greats on the lake with the hood off but chokes to 15% or so power with it on. When i turn off the motor and hit any waves i can hear a suction like noise coming from the lower unit. So i think im on the right track by thinking that i need to replace the large gasket/motor mount(??) right below the motor head leading to the lower unit. Does this sound like a possible fix or should i be looking at the suggestions above??

First post here, thanks in advance

Jeff.

Read what I said above. That always gets the blame but is usually not the cause. If it is smothering at idle and in neutral, it might be. If in gear and under way and it is still smothering, you have another problem.