1964 Johnson 40hp

eriklane

Cadet
Great motor so far, 5 yrs ago I got it, question about milky fluid dripping out of a small hole right above prop in full vertical position. What is it? Also, as I in crease throttle, above just a slow idle, it revs but I get no change in speed. I checked and the pin is still through the shaft, didn't hit anything. Could I have a trans issue? or is the milky fluid a sign? I had changed the lowerend fluid 2 yrs ago, but not last yr, but I only used it 2 times or so, so I figured I didn't need to. Also, can I put a garden hose by the water inlet to test run it? is that enuf water?
Thanks

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 1964 Johnson 40hp

The milky fluid is indeed from the lower, I would say you have a water pump seal that is bad.
Change the lower oil right away and see how bad it is, I would imagine there isn't much oil left in the lower, probably mostly water.

Does the prop turn in gear or the engine just revs up, you can check this by just putting it in gear and seeing if the prop turns freely or it is in gear?

No, a garden hose isn't enough water, they have outboard "ears" you can get at Wal-Mart for 4-5 dollars that you hook the hose to, you need those and pick up some lower unit oil while you are there.

Once you get your ears and run it repost with the results.

eriklane

Cadet

You're the best, thank you. I drained the oil and it was say a good cup and a half...not sure. Can I do a water seal pretty easy?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If you are handy with tools I think you can do it, not to hard.

You need to drop the lower unit so you may as well change the water pump while you are in there, you can get one here at the iboats store or Napa has them and the seals too if you don't want to wait for shipping.

When you get the lower dropped, at the front of the casing is the shift rod, check inside that boot, if it is full of oil that is the seal that is leaking.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

How milky was the cup and a half of oil?

And it should not be leaking through a hole above the prop. If it's a tiny round machined hole then it is a drain hole and the goo was oil/gas/water/exhaust combustion by-products, if it's not a machined hole then you have a hole and a leak and bigger problems.

Also, changing the oil and seals and pump will not solve a prop not turning, it sounds like other issues are there if that's the case.

Did you do this "Does the prop turn in gear or the engine just revs up, you can check this by just putting it in gear and seeing if the prop turns freely or it is in gear?"

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Is this a mechanical shift or an electramatic?

The prop has a rubber hub in it in addition to the pin. It's designed to slip if you hit an obstruction, without shearing the pin. That hub can go bad and start slipping too easily ("spun hub" syndrome). Take the prop off and use a Sharpie marker to mark the inner part of the prop and the outer part of the prop. Then use the boat until the "rev without motion" occurs. Take the prop back off and see if your marks still line up. If they are out of line, the inner part of the prop is sprung.