1964 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 WOT?

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice
How long can I hold my motor at WOT while underway without hurting anything? Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1964 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 WOT?

as long as it has water cooling it, a correct fuel oil mixture. it will run for ever.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yep, what Tash said. That engine was designed to run full throttle with no time limit. However, that of course was when it was new. Now it depends on the condition of the engine's internal components.

mazter_1

Recruit

I have one of these as well. Last night, I had it out and it was over heating. (i think) It would run for about a minute and shut off, smoking. Unfortunately, I had to run it a couple times just to get back to the dock. Then, once it was on the trailer, I noticed gear oil dripping from a pin sized hole in the lower unit. Any thoughts on if this is worth repairing? Is there a market for parts? Lower units etc? This boat was my dad's, and it has sat for a few years not run, most likely not winterized either. Any advice would rock.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Mazter_1
The oil seeping from the hole in the unit is normal. It's unburned 2-stroke mix.
As long as you allowed the motor to cool and you didn't run it until it locked up, you may not have hurt it too badly. These old motors will take a fair bit of abuse.

Sparkler,
Your motor will run indefinitely at wide open throttle if it is propped correctly for the boat. If you are running it wide open throttle on a 16-footer with 4 guys and a full load of fishing gear, then it is likely lugging down the motor unless you've got a low pitch prop on it that allows the RPM to come up to it's recommended 4000-4500 RPM. Lugging the motor will kill it.

If you are running it solo on a light 12-footer that planes off easily with the stock prop, you're probably okay.

Also, keep the oil on the fat side - preferably 24:1.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

If you are running it wide open throttle on a 16-footer with 4 guys and a full load of fishing gear, then it is likely lugging down the motor unless you've got a low pitch prop on it that allows the RPM to come up to it's recommended 4000-4500 RPM. Lugging the motor will kill it.

If you are running it solo on a light 12-footer that planes off easily with the stock prop, you're probably okay.

Also, keep the oil on the fat side - preferably 24:1.
[/QUOTE]

Chinewalker,

If a motor is (lugged) meaning that it way under powered for the boat and weight, that at WOT that it will overheat and burnt up? Sorry, not try to hijack this thread, but I found Chinewalker statement interesting. I didn't realize that it would overheat or burn up, I though it would just run and not really push the boat well or very little. I was going to use a 2hp motor as a kicker on a 14ft to slow troll for catfish and not use the main and burn up gas. That changes things!!

cajuncook1

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi CajunCook,
The issue isn't so much underpowering, as it is over propping. The stock prop on the 6hp is pretty good at planing off a small to medium sized tinny with a light load. It is not very good at moving a heavy boat at displacement speeds. A 3-blade low pitch prop might help the motor get away from lugging and into its happy zone. That's what you'd find on sailboat motors of similar horsepower - large blade area, low pitch props.
The 2hp has a low pitch prop to begin with so it is perfectly suited for your purposes...

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Hi CajunCook,
The issue isn't so much underpowering, as it is over propping. The stock prop on the 6hp is pretty good at planing off a small to medium sized tinny with a light load. It is not very good at moving a heavy boat at displacement speeds. A 3-blade low pitch prop might help the motor get away from lugging and into its happy zone. That's what you'd find on sailboat motors of similar horsepower - large blade area, low pitch props.
The 2hp has a low pitch prop to begin with so it is perfectly suited for your purposes...

Thanks for your explanation, I appreciate your time;).

cajuncook1