1964 evinrude fastwin 18 hp cold start problems

Jrssub

Recruit
I have a 64’ evinrude fastwin 18 hp that’s is giving me a bit of trouble, the motor has ran good the last few years but lately it has become very hard to start. I have ran a compression test on both cylinders and have 105 psi on both cylinders, rebuilt and cleaned the carb, replaced all fuel lines, inspected and tested the coils and spark plug wires, replaced the points and condenser, re timed the motor and set the points using a timing tool, new plugs, and replaced fuel pump. And after all of that I still have the same problem of having a very hard time to get the motor to start. It takes either a splash of gas or a small spray of Starting fluid in the carburetor to get the motor to run. With all of the improvements I have made once the motor is running it is very smooth and is running much better than it ever has. The motor will easily start once it’s warm and will start on a half pull up until about a 45 mins of not running and then the motor starts back to not firing when it turnes cold again. I’m looking for some advice on anything else I could be over looking
Thanks!

kbait

Commander
Properly tuned motor will start cold 3-4 pulls with full choke. If choke butterfly valve doesn’t FULLY close when knob is pulled, it will take many pulls to fire. Check it out..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think those have a choke detent that sometimes does not keep choke fully closed.----And turn throttle till you hit the stop in neutral.---Disregard " start " on the handle.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
As said above, make sure the choke is FULLY CLOSED when trying to start it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I immediately thought of the choke detent too. I've replaced more than a few of them because they didn't hold the knob fully pulled.

sludgeguy68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also might want to check if the primer bulb is functioning properly, and ensure it's filling up the carb bowl for those cold starts.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Broken or dislodged detent link, as suggested above (?). Or maybe the choke lever spring, May have to physically check to make sure the choke valve is tightly closed.

Jrssub

Recruit
I have already replaced the choke dent because it was broken, I double checked and made sure the choke was fully closed, I also replaced the fuel line from motor to tank ,primer bulb and the connection to the fuel tank. still having the issue

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Poor spark is the # 1 reason for " hard to start " condition.----So does spark jump a gap of 5/16" on a tester , yes or no ?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Lightly close the carb idle mix needle, then open it counterclockwise 1 1/2 turns. Should start at that setting -- final adjustment after warmed up.