1964 Evinrude 40 hp starter question

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
I recently bought an old donor boat that had a 1964 Evinrude 40 hp on it. I tried to start it by hooking jumper cables to the electrical cables, but the engine barely turns over. It does turn over, but a slight pause between each turn. Sounds kinda like "uh........huh. uh..........huh". I then tried hooking the jumper cables directly to the starter with the same result. Both times i had my truck running to jump it. Does this sound like a starter issue? If so, I have a running '65 33 hp Rude... could I just swap the starters out? Thanks for your ideas!

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 1964 Evinrude 40 hp starter question

I recently bought an old donor boat that had a 1964 Evinrude 40 hp on it. I tried to start it by hooking jumper cables to the electrical cables, but the engine barely turns over. It does turn over, but a slight pause between each turn. Sounds kinda like "uh........huh. uh..........huh". I then tried hooking the jumper cables directly to the starter with the same result. Both times i had my truck running to jump it. Does this sound like a starter issue? If so, I have a running '65 33 hp Rude... could I just swap the starters out? Thanks for your ideas!

IMHO, I would try hooking up a battery in the proper manner before condemning the starter. If your jumper cables look anything like mine, there is certainly the potential for a voltage drop, or excessive resistance to skew testing results.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1964 Evinrude 40 hp starter question

You might have oil in the cylinders. Open the plugs and see if anything blows out. Without plugs, it should turn over quickly.

If it's dry, you might spray a light lub oil in the cylinders.