1963 Evinrude 18hp 18302L carb rebuild

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to be rebuilding the carb for my 1963 Evinrude 18hp outboard. This is the first time i have ever done a carb rebuild and am just looking for hints and tips, things to look for, what parts in the carb should i replace? Any help will be much appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not much goes wrong with those carburetors except dirt.---A simple cleaning is usually all that is needed.--Perhpas a new nozzle gasket and bowl gasket.--What is the motor doing / not doing.

nwcove

Admiral
buy the parts and do it right, if any issues persist, at least you can hopefully rule fuel delivery out of the mix. jmo

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
The motor is back firing, when I slow it down it dies, running rough. starts up just fine, seems like excessive smoke exhaust when reving it up to full throttle?

masterbt

Seaman
are you reving in a barrel or on the lake ,could just be low speed to rich .

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
In a barrel. I just got the instructions for how to adjust the carb needles going to try that will post results when complete

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
So I torn apart the carb and replaced a bunch of the parts in there cleaned it up and put it back together and started it up today. still runs rough, spits back, if I close the throttle it dies. the only way I can keep it running is if the throttle is completely open. Even when the throttle is completely open the motor isn't running as fast as it should. Its like full throttle is slow speed and the second I turn the throttle to slow it down its no speed. This is all happening in neutral. when I try to shift to forward the engine dies. It wont stay running long enough for me to even try the carb adjustment.

w2much

Lieutenant
Do you know if the fuel pump is operating? You may be barking up the wrong tree.Check your fuel pump and your spark. Use a spark tester not a spark indicator.