1963 evinrude 18 hp fuel line

ngriser

Seaman Apprentice
I recently did a rebuild on my carburator and replace the old fuel lines. I changed the line that goes from the output of the fuel pump to the bowl and the output of the bowl to the carb. I wasnt able to find any of the old carb style fuel line so i had to use the new fuel line that is made for fuel injection. The inside diameter is still 1/4" but the outside diameter is a little bigger and the hose itself is more riggid. Since the O.D. is a little bigger the original clamps (the kind you have to squeeze together with a pair of pliers) dont fit the new fuel line. So i got some of those clamps that you have to use a screw driver to tighten. When i hooked up the fuel tank and started squeezing the bulb, fuel started leaking out of all four of the connection spots. I tried to tighten the clamps but i didnt want to crush the fuel line or the spout that comes out of the parts that the fuel line connects to. I tried to look for the old carburator style fuel line at some local places and a few online sites but no luck finding any. I havent started looking for a bigger size of the original clamps but I want to try to use them if i can find them. Anybody know where to find wither one of these parts?

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mercury makes special zip ties for fuel lines: part number 54-816311T

They should cost about 30 cents each (or less in quantity)

nwcove

Admiral
if you dont want to spring for new smaller id line, you can usually find the ethanol proof "silicon" line at most any hardware store. get a foot of the small line ..1/4 od, and cut small pieces that just fit the length of the barbs.....then push the larger id line onto the barbs and clamp. the omc part number for proper cable ties is 320107....you should be able to get them right here on iboats.

JDusza

Ensign
If the local NAPA fails to have the right stuff, OEM parts are available.
Fuel lines 0303617 and 0203909.
I use ty-wraps as clamps. Pros and cons.
J

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I use fuel hose (non-fuel injected) from Advance Auto Parts. 1/8" for the small stuff & 1/4" for the larger. They have it in small boxes of about 2 ft long. Warning: In the same kind of boxes, they have vacuum hose. You DO NOT want that! Gas will destroy it in no time. So make sure you get fuel hose and not vacuum hose.

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ordered the hose from this guy. I couldn't find it locally for some reason. I also used stainless steel hose clamps and have had no issues. You just have to use little ones.