1963 10hp Johnson QD-24 Flywheel rotating the mag plate

callious

Seaman
I need some help with this. I took the flywheel off to replace the coils and spark plug wires. I have not replaced the condensers or points but when I go to put the flywheel back on I get it on but it turns the throttle below it. This did not happen before I pulled it off. Anyone ever have this issue? Any suggestions on why this is happening?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Coils have to be adjusted in a wee bit.----Yes there is a tool available to set the coils in the right spot.

callious

Seaman
Coils have to be adjusted in a wee bit.----Yes there is a tool available to set the coils in the right spot.
I lined up the coils with the 'Machined' piece of metal. Maybe they need to go in further than the machined surface? Thanks for the reply.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OR, the mag plate is wobbling too much. Did you remove it and the mounting rings? The rotating ring goes flat side up.

callious

Seaman
Is the magneto plate very loose ?
No its not loose. I did remove the Mag plate to change the plug wires but its not loose. There is a ring that sits over the camshaft the rotates very easily that the mag plates bolts onto. Is it supposed to move around very easily?

callious

Seaman
OR, the mag plate is wobbling too much. Did you remove it and the mounting rings? The rotating ring goes flat side up.
I did not remove any mounting rings. There is one that is in there but I did not take it out. It is very loose though and moves easily.

callious

Seaman
I did not remove any mounting rings. There is one that is in there but I did not take it out. It is very loose though and moves easily.
Also, when looking down at the mounting ring I noticed there is a notch in it kinda like the notch the flywheel connects to the crankshaft with. I do not see anything that is supposed to sit in?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The bushing in the magneto plate locates the plate.----That collar with the 4 holes holds the plate down.----The magneto plate must rotate easily.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The notch is used in the manufacturing process. The ring you are moving will be loose and sloppy when the mag plate is not installed. Some people, not knowing any better will install it upside down, the reason for my mentioning it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
In addition, some parts diagrams show them upside down, or appear to show them that way. I would pull the flywheel again and check the coil placements -- run a fingernail vertically along the mounting surface and the coil lamination (should be perfectly smooth). You might also lay the flywheel right-side up on a perfectly flat surface. See if there is any wobble at all. I haven't seen that, but think it could happen if the jaw-style puller was used at some point. (more likely would chip)

callious

Seaman
In addition, some parts diagrams show them upside down, or appear to show them that way. I would pull the flywheel again and check the coil placements -- run a fingernail vertically along the mounting surface and the coil lamination (should be perfectly smooth). You might also lay the flywheel right-side up on a perfectly flat surface. See if there is any wobble at all. I haven't seen that, but think it could happen if the jaw-style puller was used at some point. (more likely would chip)
Great tip! I did use the jaw style puller as the the puller that is recommended to use kept snapping the bolts holding it down to the flywheel. I'll try all the suggestions and update once I have tried them.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Got to get back to the other puller, though. I use a steering wheel puller. Stainless bolts are best, but might be your technique (no offense intended). Make sure the bolts are even in the puller, and bottom out in the flywheel. Tighten down the center bolt and whack it with a 2 lb sledge. Repeat if the flywheel doesn't pop. (Keep the flywheel nut in place at the top of the shaft to keep the wheel from popping off the shaft, and to protect the shaft from the puller and sledge action.)

callious

Seaman
Got to get back to the other puller, though. I use a steering wheel puller. Stainless bolts are best, but might be your technique (no offense intended). Make sure the bolts are even in the puller, and bottom out in the flywheel. Tighten down the center bolt and whack it with a 2 lb sledge. Repeat if the flywheel doesn't pop. (Keep the flywheel nut in place at the top of the shaft to keep the wheel from popping off the shaft, and to protect the shaft from the puller and sledge action.)
Most definitely my technique then. I will check the flywheel and fingers crossed its not that!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Using the 3 bolt ( grade 5 bolts ) puller is the only way to pull flywheel.-----Nor sure how you can have issues with that method.

callious

Seaman
Using the 3 bolt ( grade 5 bolts ) puller is the only way to pull flywheel.-----Nor sure how you can have issues with that method.
Checked the flywheel yesterday and its not warped. I also checked the coils and it appears the back of the coils that is brand new is rubbing on the flywheel when spinning which is what is causing the flywheel to stick and causing the mag plate to rotate. I ordered a locating ring and just got it in today. I will use it tonight and report back. Thanks again!

callious

Seaman
Checked the flywheel yesterday and its not warped. I also checked the coils and it appears the back of the coils that is brand new is rubbing on the flywheel when spinning which is what is causing the flywheel to stick and causing the mag plate to rotate. I ordered a locating ring and just got it in today. I will use it tonight and report back. Thanks again!
Update I used the locating ring and moved the coils in as far as I can but same issue is occurring. Flywheel sticking and pulling the mag plate.