1962 Evinrude 75hp Starflite

CvilleNewbie

Cadet
I am (God Help us all) a newbie to outboard motors. We just bought this 1963 Linc 17' with an Evinrude 75hp outboard engine on it. It did not come with any owners manuals on how to start, run, etc the motor. I have parts manuals but that does not tell me how to fuel, add 2 cycle oil or run the engine.<br /><br />OK - can anyone help me....<br /><br />A Newbie in Carpentersville, IL

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1962 Evinrude 75hp Starflite

Howdy, Newbie.<br /><br />Believe it or not there are manuals available through several sites. I don't have a link for you but someone will post one soon.<br /><br />The mix that OMC recommended most recently for fuel is 24:1 (1 qt. outboard oil to 6 gal 87 octane unleaded regular). <br /><br />Many old engine owners are running their engines on a 32:1 mix without problems. 32:1 is 24oz. oil to 6 gal. of gas.<br /><br />Either way, use only outboard oil rated TC-W3.<br /><br />Starting procedure is as follows:<br />Cold: Pump primer until firm. Engine in Neutral. Press key in to activate the choke and turn to engage the starter. As soon as engine fires let up on the choke. If the engine tries to die, give it some more choke in short bursts until it runs smootly.<br /><br />Hot: As above, but don't use the choke unless the engine fails to fire.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

cowfarmer250

Cadet

i have '72 evinrude 100hp the owners manual says to run 50:1 ratio, had it since new and always used that ratio.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Cowfarmer.<br />50:1 is the correct mix for your '72 engine. <br /><br />The recommended mix for a '63 is 24:1.<br /><br /> :)