1962 Evinrude 5.5 fisherman bogs stalls when I put the hood on.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, with hood off it will run full speed full throttle no issues… when I put the hood on, it revs up then I lose power and rpm’s… it won’t stall but just stays starving for fuel or air.

Any thoughts?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Running it on a boat or in a barrel? If in a barrel, get it out of there and onto a boat where it was designed to run. Or stick your head down in that barrel and take a snort of that smoke and you will realize the problem.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Running it on a boat or in a barrel? If in a barrel, get it out of there and onto a boat where it was designed to run. Or stick your head down in that barrel and take a snort of that smoke and you will realize the problem.
It ran good in the barrel. The water is where I ran into a problem

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
99% chance its an exhaust leak. You'll either want to replace the gasket, run motor with cowling off or drill holes in cowling to allow more air to come in (drilling holes not my choice).

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Checked slip clutch below the water pump.-----Lower unit binding ?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
pull the phead change impeller anyway if needed ...check the slip clutch (just weld it at
6'' 11/16 inch and use brass drive pins)
check for heavy carbon build up in the exhaust section change the base gasket (carefull they all look alike but differ by year )
1719663653601.png
... no reason for the fumes to enter the cowl.

if choking is the problem seems you should see/smell heavy exhaust when you pop the cowl off... do you ??

Attachments

• CD-10 carbon.JPG
    CD-10 carbon.JPG
    574.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
pull the phead change impeller anyway if needed ...check the slip clutch (just weld it at
6'' 11/16 inch and use brass drive pins)
check for heavy carbon build up in the exhaust section change the base gasket (carefull they all look alike but differ by year )
View attachment 399858
... no reason for the fumes to enter the cowl.

if choking is the problem seems you should see/smell heavy exhaust when you pop the cowl off... do you ??
When it first starts running. After about a minute she seems to lean out and way less smoke

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
good decision . here isa good video on it...simple process
be very carefull with the top carbon seal..they are very brittle
check GC for water intrusion... some just refill mid-season if not at ease witha GC reseal job

to service oldies the Johnson red book.. or white covers everything you need

Attachments

• RED book.JPG
    RED book.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 0