1962 Evinrude 28HP Outboard help

SS0DEN

Recruit
I purchased a 1962 Sears baot with a 28HP Evinrude outboard engine. I have been having problems with the engine since day 1 which was about 60 days ago....

I am wondering if anyone here can walk me through the steps to cure my problem. I have a lot of engine experience but no outboard engine experience... Thanks in advance.

Problem:
The engine feels sputtery and at low idle and will stall often, I find myself choking the engine to start it even when it's warmed up. The engine has new plug. The lower end is in good shape with new oil, I do not believe the lower end is the issue... When you open to full throttle, the engine will pull ok then back off a little, it wont stall but it also will not run correctly and continue to sputter, the sputter will decrease as the engine warms but will always remain there.

My gut tells me carb issue, but could it be a points issue or worse yet a bad engine (cracked block). When the engine warms up it runs a bit better, when I stop the engine there is fine trail of gas in the water that appears to exit the exhaust in the water, I assume this is normal because after all it is a 2 stroke.

Please advise me on how to trouble shoot this problem.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 Evinrude 28HP Outboard help

I purchased a 1962 Sears baot with a 28HP Evinrude outboard engine. I have been having problems with the engine since day 1 which was about 60 days ago....

I am wondering if anyone here can walk me through the steps to cure my problem. I have a lot of engine experience but no outboard engine experience... Thanks in advance.

Problem:
The engine feels sputtery and at low idle and will stall often, I find myself choking the engine to start it even when it's warmed up. The engine has new plug. The lower end is in good shape with new oil, I do not believe the lower end is the issue... When you open to full throttle, the engine will pull ok then back off a little, it wont stall but it also will not run correctly and continue to sputter, the sputter will decrease as the engine warms but will always remain there.

My gut tells me carb issue, but could it be a points issue or worse yet a bad engine (cracked block). When the engine warms up it runs a bit better, when I stop the engine there is fine trail of gas in the water that appears to exit the exhaust in the water, I assume this is normal because after all it is a 2 stroke.

Please advise me on how to trouble shoot this problem.

Well, I'm not saying you don't have a carburetor problem, but I will say for sure that you need to pull the flywheel and see what you have in there. Very good chance the points are cruddy, and even better chance the coils are shot. They are notorious for cracking with age. New ones are available right here at iboats.

When you put it back together use a torque wrench and tighten the nut to 100-105 ft/lbs. Failure to heed that advice has destroyed countless outboards.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • cracked coils ugly.jpg
    cracked coils ugly.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0

SS0DEN

Recruit

I read somewere in here about the gap distance on the points being .020 but not anymore then .022. I have never adjusted points as all my vehicles have been mid 80's and up. Can someone please link me or instruct me on the proper method to adjusting these points? Thanks.

lindy46

Captain

Remove the recoil, then remove the little plate on the top of the flywheel. You can adjust points through that inspection port. .020" is correct. When the hole is directly over the points, that is when they are fully open. Check the coils to see if they are old and cracked or have been replaced. If they look ok, check spark. If coils, points, plugs and spark are good, then carb is next. I would clean the carb and get a carb kit (with float) and install. If it's sputtering, I'd suspect dirty/misadjusted carb.

SS0DEN

Recruit

Thanks, my gut told me carb as well. But I will check the points and coils to ensure they are not cracked or the points are dirty or gapped incorrectly.

I am guessing I have a bad float or dirty carb ~ Let's hope anyways.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Whenever I get a new motor (new to me) I always rebuild carbs, new fuel lines and filter, new plugs, regap points, check coils, and lower unit oil. Costs maybe $50 and takes about 2 hrs to do. Well worth it in troubleshooting headaches.

Every motor ran good the last time it ran.