1961 model merc 150

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice
I have a question about a '61 mercury 15 horse motor. There is a cover that contains the spring assembly for the transmission. On that cover is 4 screws total; 2 screws that hold it on, the grease vent, and a freshwater flush screw. What is the freshwater flush screw for? Is this something I should be doing as part of a maintanence schedule? Also, where the heck is the impeller for the water pump located? Any info would be appreciated.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1961 model merc 150

The impeller is above the shift spring and requires special tools to even get to it--Bob

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You don't want to tackle that one without the factory Merc manual. Those pumps are the most miserable things to work on that you can possibly imagine. You'll invent a whole lotta new cusswords before you're finished. ;) <br /><br />The Flush screw is for running fresh water thru it if you ran it in saltwater or mud. There was an adapter that fit a garden hose. I used to have one, but don't recall ever using it. You could fit one together with a few plumbing fittings. The harder part would be at the motor end. The plug screw (3/8-16 thread) is bolt sized and you'd have to improvise a bolt with a hole bored in the center.

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. There is nothing wrong with the pump, I just haven't ran acrossed it and was starting to wonder if it used magic to circulate the water. thanks again.