1961 5.5hp johnson l/u leaks

ljohns5582

Seaman
Lower unit is milky.<br /> :eek: Pulled power head and took l/u off. Had friend to machine the prop shaft, replaced seal on shaft and replaced oil fill and drain seals. Replaced powerhead and pressure tested with bicycle pump with no air bubbles but still getting water into l/u. What is the next logical step?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1961 5.5hp johnson l/u leaks

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />It's probably leaking at the shift shaft. It passes thru a brass bushing with an O-ring tucked under it. The bushing has to be removed to replace the O-ring. The gearcase has to come apart.

ljohns5582

Seaman

Can I buy the o-ring and bushing new somewhere or should I try the used parts places? Thanks

Paul Moir

Admiral

I see you mention the propshaft seal but none others. Unless you replace the o-ring on the bearing head and the spagetti seal for the cap, you can be pretty sure you'll get a leak. Especially if you don't use the correct sealant.<br />You can order seal kit 18-2679 from Iboats or NAPA autoparts, or you can get a lower unit seal kit from your local johnny/rude dealer (different p/n). This comes with all the seals, O-rings and gaskets so you can do a complete job, but not the sealant. It also comes with the shift shaft o-ring. The bushing is reusable if you don't destroy it removing it. A new one is only a few bucks from your dealer though.

ljohns5582

Seaman

Looking at the parts catalog it shows an o-ring sitting directly behing the propeller. Is this the one that fits on the gearcase head and bearing assembly or is that one separate? Also on the driveshaft , it calls for a seal and o-ring separately but when i installed it, i assumed the o-ring was the one inside of the seal. Is this correct?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The oring fits around the head. When you reassemble the unit, make sure the gear case halves mating surfaces are clean and use a new spagetti seal with a coat of gasket sealing compound. Same for the oring on the head. The shift rod bushing can be a pain to get out if you don't have the right puller. <br /><br />I would drop the lower unit and put some air pressure on it again. Then use some soapy water to check the seals while you spin the shafts and operate the shift rod up and down.

ljohns5582

Seaman

I put the o-ring around the head but was unsure if there was another behind the prop. I am going to pull the power head off again and check the bushing and o-ring around the shifter. Thanks for everyones help.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Don't forget the seals on the fill & drain plugs.