1961 40hp Evinrude flywheel key???

56fish

Recruit
I have a chance to pick up an 40 hp Evinrude really cheap but was told it dont run after this guy tried to tune it up. I was told that it kept shearing the flywheel key up by the points.Was also told that there was a kit to repair it and that it was a common problem. I have never heard of this and was wondering if anyone has????? If so... what causes that to happen???? How much are these kits??? thanx...<br />By the way I can get the motor with a 15' Laurel boat & trailer for $300.00<br />Anyone ever hear of Laurel boats???

Johnshan

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1961 40hp Evinrude flywheel key???

We sheared the flywheel key off today on a '59 Evinrude 35 hp so im assuming yes this is a common thing. <br /><br />I noticed that the only difference between a 35-40 hp is the carb-<br /><br />We have 2 Johnson parts motors (both 40 hp's) and they are IDENTICAL to the Evinrude (same size pistons, heads, ect).<br />-John

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

HI. 56Fish. Two things commonly cause flywheel keys to shear; Ignition set too far advanced (kicks the crank back against rotation of flywheel starter) and flywheel not seated firmly on flywheel taper so that it flops around and shears the key. Both causes rather easy and inexpensive to fix. You'd have to work hard to lose money on the boat-motor-trailer package for $300.<br />Goog Luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

MASTERTECH

Recruit

Aloha - <br /><br />This problem is easily solved thus.<br />Remove the stator plate and mask off the seal area.<br />Get a small tube of valve grinding compound and lap the flywheel into the crank until the entire taper is clean grey. Clean thoroughly with lacquer thinner to remove all traces of residue and oil. Install the flywheel and TORQUE IT to 95 - 105 FT-LBS.<br />This will keep it on and tight. BTW, don't run this out of the water over a fast idle. These will diesel, run away and destroy themselves, especially if the vacuum cutout on the side is disabled.<br /><br />------------------<br />Mastertech in Paradise