1961 40hp EVINRUDE CARB HELP

STAGE3

Cadet
Hi all,<br /><br /> I have just finished the restoration of my project boat and now am having problems with getting her to idle. I can have her idling for about 40 sec. and that is with the carb closed. When I put her on automatic, she has a harder time starting. There is a lot of coughing and spiting. Also when I play with the lean/rich nob. it appears to get better. Can you guys help?<br /><br />THanks in advance

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1961 40hp EVINRUDE CARB HELP

1st, check engine compression and assure that they vary by no more than 10-15%<br /><br />It may be time to service the magneto (points) under the flywheel. <br /><br />Then if still having problems go back through the carb(s)

Paul Moir

Admiral

You say it won't idle/run unless the choke is closed? In that case it's time to rebuild that carb. Get the kit from your local Johnny/Rude dealer or here, Part Number 439074. That ones comes with a new float.<br /><br />This means completely disassembling the carb, soaking it in carb cleaner and blowing out all passages. Pay particulair attention to the idle passage and the two tiny orifaces just above the throttle plate.<br /><br />It's conceivable that it could be something else, but the carb it the obvious place to start. If they are original, you would be wise to replace your fuel lines (1/4" ID) on the engine with new ones at the same time. <br /><br />Tell us what you find in there!<br /><br />EDIT: Yepblaze, please pardon the post collision. Yeah I'm slow... :)

fireman57

Captain

You might also check the diaphram in the fuel pump for a small hole. Had that happen to me on a 25hp. Idled real rough and hard to start but anything after that was fine.

STAGE3

Cadet

I forgot to mention that when I would try to start her wide open, as soon as I stopped there would be gas that came out of the "breather" of the carb.? <br /><br />As for the points, I had changed the coil and condencer and left the points alone because they looked ok. Not to worn down and there was good contact. <br /><br />As for the compression, if there is a variation over 15% what is needed to be done to fix it?<br /><br />Thanks all

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

STAGE3,<br /><br />Do you have a service manual for that motor? If you are troubleshooting or working on your own motor, they are a 'must have'.<br /><br />You may wish to do a few quick checks, and go back to square one with some adjustments.<br /><br />With the engine off, when you squeeze the fuel primer does it go firm or does it spit gasoline out through the throat of the carb? If it spits out at you, your float needle/seat are not seating well. They may be worn, or sticking.<br /><br />The low speed idle adjustment is very important to ensure the motor will idle well. Typically that is screwed in all the way GENTLY, and then backed out 7/8 turn or so to provide a smooth idle. Adjust lean/rich as required.<br /><br />Ideally you want to have about 650 rpm at idle, with the boat in gear. Adjust for smoothest performance, while keeping it as slow as possible to avoid undue stress on the gears.<br /><br />Did you adjust the point gap (typically .020), while you had the flywheel off? It directly affects ignition timing.<br /><br />A wide variation causes imbalance on the crank load, and inefficient operation. Could be from bad reeds, worn cylinders, stuck or damaged rings etc. If compression is way out of whack or ecessively low, it may be time to have a peek inside. In the meantime, you can try to decarb the engine with a marine formulated decarb (seafoam or equivalent) fluid to see if that helps.<br /><br />I'm still an 'outboard newbie', so I hope the experts will point out any errors I may have made with my advice.<br /><br />Good luck, and keep us posted.

STAGE3

Cadet

Thanks for the pointers all. I hope to have another crack at it this weekend ( weather permitting) and hope to report back with good news.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />STAGE 3

dolluper

Captain

is this the motor the carb cam plate broke when you pulled the flywheel

STAGE3

Cadet

It was the cam follower, not the plate. I did'nt have a chance to look at it this weekend, will report when I do.<br /><br />Cheers

dolluper

Captain

I take it the follower is fixed and you did a link and synic if so see sounds like it's suckin air check all fuel lines for leaks,and make sure your tank vent is open primer is hard

STAGE3

Cadet

Well, I had a look at her. The needle points are'nt to bad but the float was'nt sitting right. It needs a rebuild kit. I put her back together, and she ran! Started on the second turn. Of course there was a lot of crap to be run out of her. Happy to see her darn near finished. So I will get the rebuild kit, change the points, new coil and tweek her to her max! Can wait to put her in the water in the Spring!<br /><br />Thanks for helpin out<br /><br />By the way, It appears that the throttle cam follower is for pull starting. So not gonna need it. I will get a couple of paddles and use a 2hp kicker.<br /><br />STAGE 3