1960's Starcraft 18ft Aluminum for offshore use.

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at buying a 1960's model Starcraft boat that is 18.5' feet in length with an approximately 7' beam. The purpose of the boat would be for fishing in the Florida Gulf 5 to 20 miles offshore. I was wondering if anybody has had experience with these boats and could tell me how they handle. I'm just not wanting to waste time and money on a rebuild if it won't work for my purposes.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1960's Starcraft 18ft Aluminum for offshore use.

They've got pretty high sides, but for running out that far I'd probably feel better in a 22' Starcraft with a closed bow or cuddy to shed water.

You could do it with a 18 footer but in order to have enough fuel and freeboard I'd go a bit bigger.

They are great boats and handle some chop very well for being light hulls.

I've had my 16' SS in 3-4' swells and it handled great. Anything bigger than that and I want a bigger boat.

PKomrowski

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have had a starcraft in, 14, 17, 19, 21, 26 foot and would say the problem or maby the aria you want to realy look at is the freeboard. I would not be comfortable in it that far out, as it would take very little to be dangerous. The 21, and 22 are much better like HA has stated, and the room they ofter is much, much more comfortable.

I would assume for that lenght of trip your spending some hours in the boat and it may set small after about 4 hrs in it. The 21, and 22 you can get up and walk around it and have lots of stability and room to due to the higher sides, where the smaller ones you can, only if its real flat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you'll have to choose your days carefully, and watch that low stern. You also are not self-bailing, so run two pumps, set up independently. and I wouldn't take a 1960's motor out farther than paddling distance. seriously, your safety in bad conditions hinges on whether your motor is running, more than the hull.