1960 Johnson 40hp starter&gen

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1960 Johnson 40hp starter&gen

Generators were sold as an accessory kit, consisting of the generator and mounting bracket, the belt, regulator and ammeter. They are a little hard to find, certainly complete, and you may not want to bother with set up and assembly anyway -- may suffice just to use a shore charger periodically. If you are into restoring motors, you can probably put together the system as you will already have some sources.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Oldboat1 that you don't need a generator, unless you plan on operating lights at night.<br /><br />I recharge my starter battery from house current every two or three weeks.<br /><br />Starters and brackets are easy to get from eBay.<br />One Prestolite model fit several years of 35-40 hp engines. Make sure you either get all the wiring, or get a good schematic if you make up your own. Not hard to make up, but the switch circuit for a magneto engine is not the same as as a modern boat or a car.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />I agree with the other guys that you don't need a generator/regulator/ammometer,belt and enlarged solenoid box so the regulator fits in.You are looking at 200 dollars at least for that package.But you know what?<br />I did it anyway and I love it!!!<br />Every time the engine runs over 2000 rpm and that ammometer shows a 10 amp charge, it just gives a happy feeling of accomplishment.<br />So if it makes you feel good.....<br />www.twincityoutboards.com<br />www.americanoutboard.com.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

C K, I ran an electric start 18 Evinrude for years with no generator.Boat would sit for a week at a time then would start and run a dozen times <br />with lights every night on the weekend and vacations.I some times wouldnt charge for weeks.<br /> And yes I did get caught short a some times<br /> but seldom.<br /> I guess its what ever floats your boat.