1960 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp throttle help

Cpt. Bassfisher

Recruit
Im confused on this. to get this engine to start i have to put it on full throttle. it starts just fine and will level out and idle out fine when i adjust the high speed throttle needle on the carb. My problem is, i can not get this engine to slow speed idle or run after i move the tiller handle from the full throttle. What can i do to fix this?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp throttle help

Sounds like the needles are so far off....

Preliminary setting should be 3/4 turn open on the high speed and 1-1/2 turns on slow speed.

Are you running it on a boat?

Anyway, proper procedure is to get it on a boat, on the lake, then run it at full throttle and adjust the high speed knob for best running. Then slow down and do the same with the slow speed needle. The high speed needle should not be affecting the idle mixture. Well, not unless you turn it clear off, that is . But if you did that, it wouldn't run at full throttle.

64osby

Admiral

What F_R said or the idle side of the carb is plugged up.

Cpt. Bassfisher

Recruit

I have tried that but that im still having the same problem. i can not get the motor to run on slow speed. once i turn the handle from full throttle the motor dies.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is the throttle shaft in the carburetor stuck open?

Cpt. Bassfisher

Recruit

I now stand humbled and corrected. I have been looking at the wrong part of the engine. my carb is fine, however my impeller and water pump are shot. But what can you expect from a motor that has sat in a shed for 15 years until today.