1960 75hp LU bearing cap

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice
I'm struggling trying to get this seal out..<br />
bearingcap3.jpg
<br />My manual says to just buy the whole assembly(cap-bearings-seal). It shows nothing in the way of removeing/replacing the seal. The part number on the cap is 307089.<br /><br />I guess my question is does anyone know how to get this seal out...or where to find a whole new cap?<br /> There are 4 threaded hole on the back side(shown here with green arrows)
bearingcap1.jpg
<br /><br />I tried to put 4 bolts in those and push it apart and had very bad results, they just pushed through, I guess I will just plug them when I'm done, <br />thanks

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 1960 75hp LU bearing cap

In your first picture (from the outside)drill 2 small holes about where the seal needs to be pushed out.Don't drill into the seal itself.Use a punch,or better yet a couple of pins,and press the seal out.Bearing should be replaced too.<br /><br />DHP

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

That piece in the picture no longer looks like that. I'll be looking for a new one. there was no way that seal and bearing was coming out of there.<br /><br />If anyone knows where I can find that assembly or at least the cap I would be very very greatful. The pasrt number on the back of the cap is 307089.<br /><br />the bearing was Torrington jh-1616<br /><br />Thanks for all your help with this.<br /><br />Ralphw

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Ralph... I can't check right now as the alarm is set. Drop me a line via email (address below) and jog my memory as to your problem and I'll see if I have anything that might be of help to you.

Paul Moir

Admiral

For what it's worth, you should be able to get the bearing itself from any bearing distributor that handles timken/torrington. That's just one of their standard drawn cup bearings.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> For what it's worth, you should be able to get the bearing itself from any bearing distributor that handles timken/torrington. That's just one of their standard drawn cup bearings.
good to know,,, Thanks