1960 40hp evinrude outboard motor

Dickinson

Cadet
I need to know if there is any way to bypass the mercury switches on the throttle? I think they may be failing making it nearly impossible to get my motor started. Also I still have the question about the 1/8 power issue. I have good spark on both cylinders carb has been cleaned as well as the fuel pump. I'm not sure that the fuel pump is working though and not too sure how to find this out? Any thoughts?:confused:

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1960 40hp evinrude outboard motor

For your fuel issue, if you pump the primer bulb when it's running and it affects the performance, then it's probably the fuel pump.

Dickinson

Cadet

Is there a way that the carb is going to full open, and ignition plate going to full advance and the fuel pump is still working I could still have this problem?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Sure. The high speed jet could be clogged up in the carb.

Dickinson

Cadet

High speed and low speed jets are both clean. Carb itself is also clean. Bowl as well. You know if there is a fuel filter?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I don't know where the filter is on a 1960 model. On my '69 it's a screen in the fuel pump intake cover. The fuel pump can be checked by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and cranking the motor over to see if fuel comes out.

Willyclay

Captain

I thought the carb on my 1959 Johnson 35 was clean also but still had to clean it three times before the motor would idle properly. A very small and stubborn deposit in the idle screw passage was the problem. That carburetor is identical to yours. I scanned and saved a non-factory service manual that covers your model motor. Send me a Private Message with your email address and I will reply with a copy attached if you want it. Good luck!

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I need to know if there is any way to bypass the mercury switches on the throttle? I think they may be failing making it nearly impossible to get my motor started. Also I still have the question about the 1/8 power issue. I have good spark on both cylinders carb has been cleaned as well as the fuel pump. I'm not sure that the fuel pump is working though and not too sure how to find this out? Any thoughts?:confused:

You need to back off and reconsider the problem. First off, the mercury switches will not keep the motor from starting, except if they are preventing the electric starter from operating. That is what one of them is for..to prevent the starter from operating at high throttle settings, a safety device. The other one is part of the vacuum cut-out switch circuit, a whole 'nother topic.

Now for the real problem. Have you checked the ignition system? Unless the coils have already been replaced it is a sure bet that they are cracked. When they are, they cause the classic symptoms that you appear to be describing, hard starting and lack of power. They are notorious for it. "Good spark" means nothing. If they are cracked, you often have "good" spark, but it won't run.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0