1960 40 hp evinrude questions

Dickinson

Cadet
Hi all, I've almost got all the issues with this motor worked out thanks to you all. I was just wondering if anyone knows if you can cut out the vacuum cut out switch on this motor. I have filled the tank half full for all my tests and it has been working great. I went to take it for a weekend trip, filled the tank all the way and it ran good for about 30 minutes and then would only run for 30 seconds or so and kill. Then the vacuum switch kicked in and I couldn't get it started. Any thoughts?

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1960 40 hp evinrude questions

That cut-out switch stops the motor in case of a runaway. It should not be disabled. How do you know it is the cut-out switch causing your problem? Have you tested it? Normally that switch is open. When you apply vacuum to the hose, it should close the circuit. Take it off, put an ohmmeter across the posts and apply vacuum to the hose connector - it should close the circuit. Release the vacuum and it should open the circuit. If the circuit is closed all the time, the switch is faulty.

Dickinson

Cadet

I'm not sure that it is the main problem but I think I could be a part of it. Are those switches hard to come by if in fact it was faulty? I think it could be possible that I pulled something from my tank into the newly cleaned carb. I dont have a filter on the motor or an inline from the tank. I know I need to get one what would you suggest?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure that it is the main problem but I think I could be a part of it. Are those switches hard to come by if in fact it was faulty? I think it could be possible that I pulled something from my tank into the newly cleaned carb. I dont have a filter on the motor or an inline from the tank. I know I need to get one what would you suggest?

Everybody wants to blame the vacuum switch, but it very rarely is the problem. Look elsewhere.

coolguy147

Commander

lol i didnt even know what it was on mine at first so i couldnt blame it:)