1960 3hp evinrude

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I have this 3hp evinrude lighttwin that was my dads when he was a kid. I would like to get it running but it's seized from sitting so long.:mad: Whats the best way to go about unseizing a motor.:D

DSC03227.jpg

DSC03228.jpg

DSC03229.jpg

freddyray21

Commander
Re: 1960 3hp evinrude

marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and even down the carb. Anywhere you can get it. let it sit on it's back and soak. Every day or two try to move it with a socket, but don't force it. If it starts to move a little you and move it back and forth gently. It might break loose. I am trying the same thing now with a 51 Sears.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

any idea why its seized,if it just from sitting,you can get a piece of wood,like 2x2 and tap on the piston heads after soaking as posted,if you can also gt someone to apply turning pressure tap the piston,you may be lucky,as far as the socket on the flywheel nut,you need o be careful not to break te crankif you use a pipe on a wrench,thats going to do damage,dont beat the piston hard,just let it know u mean business

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What is the yellow stuff in the intake area?

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

The first thing I tried was a breaker bar but thought I was going to snap the crank so I stoped. I don't now how it seized I think from sitting but could of over heated I don't know.

wbeaton

Commander

Looks like a fun project. I just finished changing the crank in a 1967 3 hp. Sure hope it works!

I can't tell too much from the photos, but the paint around the cylinders looks good and there doesn't look like much rust inside. Probably just rusted from sitting. You've got good advice so far. Let us know how it turns out.