1960 16' aluminum. Help me indentify what model!

flyfish1951

Cadet
New to the club...and just bought this 1960 16' Starcraft with a '75 Johnson Seahorse. Very wide and deep, but I'm not sure which model it is, so I thought I'd ask the experts. Does anyone know what this is? Thinking about adding a floor and maybe reconfiguring the seats. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Starcraft1.jpg
    Starcraft1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Starcraft2.jpg
    Starcraft2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Starcraft4.jpg
    Starcraft4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 6

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: 1960 16' aluminum. Help me indentify what model!

Welcome to the Starmada flyfish!!

64osby

Admiral

Looks like a real nice fishing rig. I see two seat benches, is there brackets for a third bench?

Never seen a 16' boat with 2 seats like that.

Take length and width dimensions and compare them to the literature if possible.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think you may have a 16' closed bow SC that's had a bow-ectomy :)
Starcraft2_zpsac2b5148.jpg

The closed bow's often had 2 bench brackets, like my 1st Jet (the 1 @ my signature line). And weren't the open bow Seafarer & etc a shorter freeboard (height of gunwale from the water) style semi-Vee 'jon' boat?

Referencing the max beam, transom width, transom height, any capacity rating or OB hp rating tag, overall length & etc will help narrow down the list of possibles............

flyfish1951

Cadet

Originally I thought it was a Seafarer, but it only has two seat brackets, and it's very wide and deep. Possibly it did have a bow-ectomy! I have the original title, but the plate has been painted over so I can't read any info. We'll probably use it this season to fish Southern Indiana lakes and rivers...Monroe, Hardy, the Ohio River...and then decide what to do regarding the seating and flooring. I just hate to only have two seats in a boat this size! Any thoughts on possible re-configurations?

64osby

Admiral

jb - I'm with you.:boink: Still a nice looking boat. :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

You can remove the brackets (probably not really hold the port & starboard gunwales in place)

Deck the boat: like a 16' Jupiter, adding 2 stringers running fore & aft, and installing a 1/2"-3/4" deck

Build a single side console or center console (requires lots of figuring PRE-installation of the deck, but possible)

and install seats & pedestals as you deem necessary for how you want to use the boat fish & ski or just fish....

LOTS of references:
Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations, they're all here!

Read pretty much any 16' thread & you'll get quite a few options..........

acetone may remove the paint a previous owner applied to the USCG plate, many were stamped so even if you strip off the OEM paint, the stamped info may be intact. Others used a foil 'label' sticker that may not survive any attempt to remove the PO's paint job.........

64osby

Admiral

ff - I'm sure with a little creative engineering a seat could be installed. A matching bench or a pedestal, either of those could be mounted up front. You might even be able to put a casting deck with a little extra work.

flyfish1951

Cadet

We're definitely just using it to fish...and a casting deck was my first thought. Lot's of space up front. Really appreciate everyone's thoughts! Did Starcraft make a multi-purpose hull... and then finish them out with or with out a closed bow? Just wondering if it would be more stable with a closed bow.

IndyFish

Seaman

I believe you have a jet. I have one in my garage now I've just started working on! The side ribs, all brackets, and bench seats are exactly the same. Mine is a 59 and what gives it away are the factory brackets for the bench seats. ALMOST every other model in the year range are configured differently. Did the "bowectomy" a couple weeks ago and I'm starting to think about layup for floor. I'm in Indianapolis let me know if you want to hook up or want pictures

flyfish1951

Cadet

Yep...it's definitely had a bowectomy. However, wasn't the Jet a 15'?

IndyFish

Seaman

Correct! There is also a Jet Star, but I'm no the one to tell you the difference between the two! I'm sure someone from the Starmada will reply soon enough with that info.... btw, Where did you get the 16' from? mine is labeled as a 15, but its nearly 16 from tip to tip. I'm sure someone will jut in and explain why... I believe 1960 was a design change for starcraft anyhow. I've seen pics of both jets and jetstars from 59, and they both have the same rib design as mine, as well as similar transom supports. Take a look at mine ... ... the transom supports are quite different than yours. I could come up with every little difference I see, but there is also a ton similar! Even the hardware they used on the corners, etc. But I know that stuff like that floated between models....

Also just a thought..
If your title DOES say that it's a 16'.... but no model... most likely it has been generically re-titled. My last boat was retitled because the last owner lost it, and it was wrong all the way around except the "vin" number on the tag.
My bets are the title was lost, stolen, aten, etc. they measured the overall length and titled it as a 16. Or...I'm completely wrong and like 64osby said, its a Viscount. Either way, great lookin boat!

64osby

Admiral

Dimensions are usually the best way to determine the model. On an original boat the colors were also year specific. Yours has been reworked so the color option is out.

flyfish1951

Cadet

IndyFish...I got the 16' from the title...no model on the title as you said. I'll measure it next time I'm near the boat. :) Other than mine being a lapstrake, I definitely see the similarities with yours...including the decorative metal piece at the point of what would have been the old bow (does that piece have a name?) Mine is identical to the one on your boat. Perhaps Starcraft used them on other models as well.