1959 Lark Evinrude really 24:1 ?

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need help on this one. I have an Evinrude Outboard that I did rebuild the carb last year. Everything I have read says that I use 24:1 ratio on mix. I took the boat out couple days ago out for the first time. I was out for approx. 3 hrs running a slow speed. Motor ran all right.. sputtered a little but never died. when I put the boat away the next day I noticed this on the floor. Now I know I have a small leak in lower unit.. But what I am wondering about is all the sludge. Is this normal or is this abnormal. I am thinking its running rich.. but like I said earlier it ran o.k for 3 hours.

2vt9swl.jpg

34dki6d.jpg

2yyb0gy.jpg

fa25wn.jpg

2w5n0gg.jpg

34hti7p.jpg

levi_tsk

Ensign
Re: 1959 Lark Evinrude really 24:1 ?

thats pretty normal ... shes a dirty girl ( thats the way i like em though ;)) clean it up if it bugs you

what brand of oil are you running ? if you run synthetic or a synthetic blend itll be slightly less but only slightly

oh and if your gonna putt around alot you might wanna go to the next highest heat range plug.... what do you have in it now?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, that's just unburned oil from the crank case. You might check and make sure that there isn't any oil getting in the gear case, to give yourself a piece of mind though. Cool old motor. I have a johnson, the same year

lindy46

Captain

Run that motor at high speed for awhile, and put some Seafoam in the gas to clean out the carbon buildup.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Ahhh yes. lindy here is as big of a fan of the classic Larks as I am ;)

jbjennings

Captain

I LOVE your boat. Not a big fan of the looks of that particular year of evinrude, but a super good motor either way. I also want to ditto the wide open throttle running, and use of synthetic 2-stroke oil. Both will greatly cut down on the crud. That is a LOT, but they tend to do that upon running them for the first time in a while.
Good luck,
JBJ

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies, sounds like normal sludge.. To answer couple questions.. I have spark plug NGK B6S.. Do not know how to read higher plug.. 7? lol.. Even better,:D:D don't laugh to hard but this last time I used ACE Hardware 2 cycle oil in the fuel. It was a sunny Sunday and I was in a hurry to get out.. I will try to use Synthetic next time. :facepalm:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Get rid of the NGKs and get some Champions in her, that is what she was designed to run on.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would run the J6C on the Champions. That motor calls for J4C, but I wouldn't give a plug nickle for J4C's. Your motor won't perform to well on them, especially the smaller motors.

levi_tsk

Ensign

yeah id run J6C 's on that but if your gonna run wide open alot youll wanna go with the J4C's BUT ONLY if your gonna run wide open ALOT

my motors hardly ever see anthing below half throttle so i run j4c's anything below thats what i have the trolling motor for :D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the replies, sounds like normal sludge.. To answer couple questions.. I have spark plug NGK B6S.. Do not know how to read higher plug.. 7? lol.. Even better,:D:D don't laugh to hard but this last time I used ACE Hardware 2 cycle oil in the fuel. It was a sunny Sunday and I was in a hurry to get out.. I will try to use Synthetic next time. :facepalm:

Maybe that Ace Hardware oil was cleaning things out inside. May not be a bad idea to run more of it. :D

jimmacl

Cadet

I have the same motor! I don't have that much slug, just a few drops but I drive 7 miles to the ramp. Nice boat.

I don't want to hi jack this thread but.... My motor seems to just love running at WOT at just under 4000rpm. Is it bad for this motor to run continuously at this RPM? I run usually at a little less but the boat/motor combination just isn't as happy. Makes 20knots at WOT (very heavy boat, early fiber glass).

jim

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I have the same motor! I don't have that much slug, just a few drops but I drive 7 miles to the ramp. Nice boat.

I don't want to hi jack this thread but.... My motor seems to just love running at WOT at just under 4000rpm. Is it bad for this motor to run continuously at this RPM? I run usually at a little less but the boat/motor combination just isn't as happy. Makes 20knots at WOT (very heavy boat, early fiber glass).

jim

You should be just fine, if your mix is okay and you're not running hot

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys for the help,,, I will change the plugs and see what happens.. I am looking forward to get her in the water again.. Hoping to fine tune few things on the boat and then start working on the trailer.. Its been 30 years since she ran that long..