1959 Fatty Fifty, staying running troubles

windsurfer77

Cadet
I have a 1959 Johnson 50hp. I started it up for the first time since I bought it, it has not run in a couple years. The motor will run after I squirt fuel into the carbs but then dies. It seems to me the fuel pump is not working, (it is an old diaphram pump that runs off the engines vacume) I took the pump apart and found the diaphram looked really stretched out.

I went ahead and ordered a new pump kit.

My question is, am I on the right track with this running issue?:confused:

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1959 Fatty Fifty, staying running troubles

I have a 1959 Johnson 50hp. I started it up for the first time since I bought it, it has not run in a couple years. The motor will run after I squirt fuel into the carbs but then dies. It seems to me the fuel pump is not working, (it is an old diaphram pump that runs off the engines vacume) I took the pump apart and found the diaphram looked really stretched out.

I went ahead and ordered a new pump kit.

My question is, am I on the right track with this running issue?:confused:

unfortunately is hard to pin point the exact problem... but you are on the right track.... if i were you i would also rebuild the carburators... dont decarb, rebuilt them... after all this time the carbs are probably gummed up...that could also be one of your problems... since it wants to run you have spark, so thats good....

next do a compression check so you have an idea of the condition of the motor....its good to know...
i also recommend changing the water pump, spark plugs and wires, and lower unit oil...

windsurfer77

Cadet

Thank you for the advice, I have put a new impellor in and changed the lower unit oil, however I have not yet worked the carb over. I have exteded my budget for fixing the boat up, due to my wife being the finacial officer of the family, I'm pretty sure asking for more to spend will be suicide.

Fresh plugs are fortunatly something I will be able to get.
Can I get away with just taking apart the carb, if I do not damage the gaskets, and give it a good cleaning?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sure, Give it a try. Initial settings for hi speed needles is 5/8 turn(I think). I really forget low speed needle settings. You might PM Joe Reeves, as he will likely remember