1959 Evinrude Lark Kill Switch

Sunwater

Recruit
I just purchased a 1959 Crestliner with a 1959 Evinrude Lark 35hp. Has anyone had experience with installing the new required kill switch on these motors. Not sure where to hook up. suggestions?? Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are there 2 small black wires coming down from underneath the magneto plate ?---Not talking about sparkplug wires here.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use those for the kill switch.----Circuit OPEN for motor to run.---CLOSED to stop motor.

Sunwater

Recruit
I am thinking using just one of the wires for a switch. Does that sound correct.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
"Required?" In my state old motors like that are grandfathered not to need them.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Good point but I believe TN is required. But will check further.
My classic Lyman has a pressure fuel tank (no fuel pump) and a manual start (recoil - no battery). The only possible way to shut it off is to retard the throttle or pull the fuel line. NOBODY is going to tell me I need a lanyard.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, Jim, can you not kill the spark like on a 50's lawnmower? Remember the bent piece of metal bolted to the head with the spike that penetrated and shorted the spark plug?

Sunwater

Recruit
Just learned no kill switch required if boat is before 2020 and does not have one. If it has one it must be used. Thanks all for the comments and advice.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Gee, Jim, can you not kill the spark like on a 50's lawnmower? Remember the bent piece of metal bolted to the head with the spike that penetrated and shorted the spark plug?
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said I was NOT going to put one on a 70 year old classic boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just learned no kill switch required if boat is before 2020 and does not have one. If it has one it must be used. Thanks all for the comments and advice.
Yeah you better be careful. The water cops are out there trying to make money off of you. Just like traffic stops looking for seat belt violations.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A very simple installation on a 59.----The 2 wee black wires connected stops the motor.----Easy to splice in.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
So Jim, "The only possible way to shut it off is to retard the throttle or pull the fuel line. " from your post #8 actually means that it can be done electrically? Glad that is cleared up.