1959 evinrude golden jubilee 18hp help please

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
decided to buy another restoration engine as i had a spare one in the garage for parts if needed.
compression is 110 psi on each cylinder and spark is good but not checked if jumping gap etc.
basically this engine was cheap as the gearbox was in bits so i replaced it with the lower section from my other engine.
i also fitted the starter motor and brackets and it all fits perfectly.
while i was at it i fitted the carb too as i replaced all the parts with new ones when i tried to restore the other engine.
now what i have done is to jury rig a gravity feed tank to see if the engine runs as i have only had it running on a carb full of fuel each time.
with the gravity tank the motor starts first time earthing the starter motor ( another job lol) and runs quite sweet with plenty of water being pumped out, every so often it spits from the 3 pin fuel pipe connector which is for the pressurised fuel tank and this tries to stall the motor.
why is it doing this?
i need to adjust the high and low needles as i basically just wanted to fire it up lol
any advice much appreciated

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
That spitting is likely a lean sneeze. Opening up the low speed needle a hair may alleviate it...

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
will do next time i get it out as it was using too much fuel with leaky make do petrol tank.
it was spitting out at the male prong on the fuel connector....
must admit it does sound nice and an electric start is a bliss