1959 evinrude 50 hp

ironman

Cadet
i have 90lbs in 3 cyls 65 in last to low comp or should run ok or fair? also how is timing set and lever to carb from dist adjusted? thanks. model #50518 ser#11167

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 evinrude 50 hp

Definately have compression problems.Should be at least 100 lbs. and no more than 10% variance cyl. to cyl.It will run but not great.These motors were huge gas hogs and your problem sure wont help.You could try a decarbonizing product but dont hold your breath<br />for much help.<br /> You need a manual, available at NAPA auto parts,tab at the top of this page,amazon.com,ebay.<br />You could also try the library.

rwise

Captain
Re: 1959 evinrude 50 hp

ironman<br />Comp is to low on the one cyl. I have a 50514 1958 and comp is 95 to 97 it runs fine. Have you had it out, has it been setting. I have tried to e-mail some of the pages out of the book I have, but they fill up mail box's fast. If you have a fax I could fax the sync and link (tuning) part of the book, if you have a fax # send it to me @ richard.wise@tvguide.com. But you do need one. Good engines, were not made to run WOT per origanal owner manual use WOT to plane out the back out to 3/4. The last 1/4 of the throtle opens the carb up. the first 3/4 just changes timing!<br />Richard