1959 Evinrude 5.5 fired up!! Prop depth?

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
After sitting in the shed for about 8-10 years, I got Golden Jubilee Fisherman fired up today!
Filed and cleaned the points, gravity fuel tank, garbage can of water, and she runs!
Fair amount of water coming out of the exhaust column, pretty quiet for a 2 stroke.
Runs in the start setting up to full throttle (briefly) but won't idle yet. Another day....

Since the boat, trailer, and this motor are all 1959, we "think" this was the original motor with this 12' aluminum boat but who knows what has gone on since 1959.
Does this look like the right length from the keel of the boat?
Is that extension section added for a deeper boat?

That depth looks ok for the Columbia River here but the Yakima River has a lot more shallow areas.
Looks like a long shaft on a short transom to me, but I don't even know enough to be dangerous.
Figured I would ask the experts....

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 20201028_141133.jpg
    20201028_141133.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20201028_105405.jpg
    20201028_105405.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that motor is too long for that transom

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
normally the cavitation plate lines up with the bottom of the boat transom so this is not a short shaft

...better to long than to short but not matched for sure.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That motor is " long shaft " meant for a boat with 20" high transom.----A short shaft fits properly on a 15" transom.-----In both cases there is the same amount of motor below the boat.

lindy46

Captain
You can convert it to a short shaft or get a Jack plate to bring it up 5" on the transom. Looks like it was originally a short shaft and someone converted it to long shaft. Remove the gearcase to find out what will be needed to convert back. At minimum you will need a short driveshaft, and possibly a shift rod. Water tube can be cut off by 5". On that motor you have to remove the powerhead to remove the gearcase.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
up to you but depending on the shape of the transom it may be easier to raise the transom by filling in the deperession and it will provide added security to swaping in a heavy chop

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone, It definitely looked too long to me, and that it had been extended 5" from stock short shaft. It is 23" from cav plate to top of clamp, all the others I have collected are 17".
The transom wood is 61 years old and could stand to be replaced so I was wondering if raising the transom is a legit option. The transom isn't as low as some I have seen, those low ones always made me question having so little freeboard back there.
Thinking about raising it by 5"-6" with new wood and some aluminum plate got me wondering about the geometry and physics of having the motor up higher, if there is any problem with that?
Glad to hear it is an option, much simpler than converting back to short shaft.

The only downside is that the other motors are all shortshaft, so they would no longer fit the boat, and our Cataraft frame also needs shortshaft motors.

I suppose I could build a solid slip on extension so the boat could use either length shaft motors? Is that an option if it was well designed and fastened?

Thanks again, Dave

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look at / find a set of transom brackets for say a 1968 V-4 Johnson or Evinrude.----Those big motors just slipped in those brackets.----Then 2 captured bolts held the motor in those brackets.-----Might be an option for you.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
by beloved Princecraft 18 inch transom raised up for a 45hpEL Merc Classic 50
2 layers marine plywood 3/4 inch glued & bolted up with an angle iron across the top e/w home made streering box &cable steering
pure please for years ago...

Attachments

• Princecraft.JPG
    Princecraft.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 9

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Is that a troller permanently mounted on the starboard side of the transom? If so, the extra length might be needed for correct water depth. (i.e., non-adjustable motor mount).