1958 Evinrude Sportwin

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to this outboard thing so bear with me. I recently puchased a pressurized OMC fuel tank with the double hose setup. Very clean and in great shape. The gentleman then gave me a 10 HP Evinrude Sportwin. My question is, what are acceptable compession numbers for this motor? I am getting a reading of just about exactly 80 pounds out of each hole. I have a weak spark from the top plug and a an almost nom existant spark from the lower. I did install new plugs and points. It will fire up though and fun for about 10 seconds and die. I must be getting more spark than I think? Just call me confused. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1958 Evinrude Sportwin

How are the coils?
did you set the points, 20 thou I think?
I recently went through mine and replaced everything.

I think your compression will come up once it runs.

Are the carbs clean?
New to you with unknown service history, its just easier to go through everything and know its all up to snuff.

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I set the points at 020 and the plugs at 030. The plugs are the stock heat range. The coils looked to be clean although I did notice a very small hairline in one of them. As for the carb...well, I have to admit that I'm a bit intimdated by them although I do have some mechanical ability. I just don't want to screw up. When I primed the tank the glass bowl filled up immediately. Also the lower unit oil came out clean.

lindy46

Captain

Compression sounds pretty good. Probably needs new coils, and while at it, replace the wires. I'd also clean carb and install new carb kit/float. Pretty simple job, go here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013
Also, check that your tank is holding pressure. Those motor have no fuel pump and rely on pressure build-up in the tank to push fuel into the carb. New fuel lines wouldn't be a bad idea also.

wbeaton

Commander

I, too, suspect you need new coils. If they are original they are most certainly bad.

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

Okay. The last two posts have convinced me to pick up some new coils as well as fuel lines and a carb kit...wish me luck. I have 10 thumbs! As for the fuel tank, it seems to hold pressure quite well. I can leave it attached to the motor for several hours and when I loosen the cap it makes a nice swoosh sound. Any more advice is always welcome. I intend to run this motor on a 12 foot aluminum boat. I have a feeling that It will push it quite well assuming I'm tricky enough to make her go. Thanks again!

coolguy147

Commander

the 10 with the john is a really nice setup. dont put all the wait in back though it gets really bumpy:eek: hvaing most of it in the middle with little in the front is good. planes fast with good speed