1958 Evinrude Sportwin shift lever

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice
It looks to me like the shift lever on my outboard should rotate 180 degrees. In other words, is it supposed to be able to point downward in order to make removal of the clam shell cowling easier? Is this true? HELP!!!

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1958 Evinrude Sportwin shift lever

Oh Oh, looks like I may have stumped you bunch of land lubbers!

jbjennings

Captain

Sorry SParkler,
It doesn't rotate 180 degrees. If you look at the lever that has 3 grooves in it that sticks out below the shifter, then you'll see where the pin on the shifter rides that determines the maximum movement. There's a groove for forward, nuetral, and reverse. I'd say that would be about 45 degrees of movement. And you do have to be careful not to scratch the clamshell on the shifter when removing it.:) If a '58 sportwin stumps anyone here, I'd be shocked.;)
JBJ

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Mr. Jennings sir.....ahem.....sorry, sometimes I regress back to my Navy days. I appreciate the feedback. Now I won't spend an entire midwatch online trying to figure it out.

jbjennings

Captain

Ha Ha! I just figured that had to be an easy one if I could answer it. :p That is a good motor, BTW, especially if you can find one with good lower unit seals. those lowers on the '58 sportwin don't like water on the bushings!
Good luck with it,
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If it's the same as the '58 Johnson 10 it has to be in reverse to unclip the latch to open the cowling. And I'm sure it's the same. I have one in the shed but don't recall opening it up! It's been years!

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

Luckily, the water tight integrity of the lower unit seems to be intact. Actually I'm pretty proud of the fact that i was able to bring it back to life. After warm up it starts with about an 8 or 10 inch pull. It was through Iboats that I was able to make it happen and I appreciate everyone very much. Thanks again!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Without a year/model specific parts book, I can't say for sure, but some models do indeed have a shift lever that will pull outward to release and turn down to make it easier to get the hood off. This is a special feature on the affected Evinrude models, different than Johnson because the Johnson doesn't need it. It is also standard equipment on Gale motors.

If it has both part numbers 11 and 16, it is the release type.

Attachments

• temp shifter.jpg
    temp shifter.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

The model number is 10016. I do not have a model specific manual but the lever has the parts shown in the above post. Apparently mine has seized together.

wbeaton

Commander

Oh Oh, looks like I may have stumped you bunch of land lubbers!

lol. You just have to give us time to find your post.

Your Sportwin motor does in fact have the drop down shift handle feature. It is very stiff to pull out on purpose. With age and use the spring gets weaker, which makes it easier to move.

jbjennings

Captain

Aaaargh!! I forgot about that on the '58! I've only seen one!:redface:
Very embarrassing! But as I said, I'd be shocked if these guys didn't know the answer. :)
Later,
JBJ​

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice

A wise man once told me that when people quit making mistakes, they will quit putting erasers on pencils.