1958 Evinrude Lark 35 Lower unit gears broken, lower unit trashed.

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a '58 Evinrude Lark 35 horse that went South on me and my boys last Fall. Stranded us in a huge lake at dusk.

I finally got around to taking it apart, and the whole lower unit is trashed.

Gear from Drive shaft is busted up pretty good, and the shift dog will not let the prop shaft rotate. Also, the housing itself is broken where the drive shaft gear bearing belongs - acutally made an oval out of it's machined hole and broke the aluminum.

So, other than trying to find a replacement, does anyone have any idea WHY this lower unit would have failed? What actually caused a gear like that to break up?

Next question, since this is a Lark (extra shell on the mid section for sound) do I need a Lark/Super Sea Horse ONLY lower? Or will any Big Twin lower work?

The motor was running great, then it started to vibrate a bit, then got worse, then power output dropped way down, even in Neutral, it finally just wouldn't stay running. Now I know why.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 Evinrude Lark 35 Lower unit gears broken, lower unit trashed.

Ran without oil
or
Ran with water in it which rusted the parts, swhich caused tehm to fail
or
Who knows? Normally they are a tough unit if not abused too badly

Any 35 or 40 horsepower, manual shift, of similar design (double shell) will work. Some of the newest ones had a different water return tube (can be swapped).

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Always changed out the oil, had oil when disassembled, and nothing rusty. All shiny metal. It's a mystery.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Always changed out the oil, had oil when disassembled, and nothing rusty. All shiny metal. It's a mystery.

My thought is its old, bushings and bearings do go bad,I'll venture a guess something started a wobble from wear,it can only wobble so much before its misaligned>>>snap crackel pop.
I spend lots a time searching used parts on ebay, you can get one there I have seen them. look for ones that have a return policy,even if its a 7 day then ebay will back up the purchase and if theres a problem you will get refunded.without the return avoid!!!
I been buyin there 4 years had two returns the sellers honored their policy,never had to lodge a complaint.