1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18

PSBrant

Recruit
I recently bought a 1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18, I had it laying on its side while I transported it and when I stood it up a lot of oil drained out somewhere above the Propeller. Is this normal? Where do I check the gear oil level in the lower end? I have ordered a manual but it will be a few days before I get it. I figured I could get some answers here in the meantime.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18

Gear oil should not leak out at any angle unless the seals are bad. Are you sure it was LU oil? Had the engine been run recently? It could have been left over exhaust/oil/water residue.

And you can't really check the oil level. There's 2 large slot screws in the LU. The lower one is the fill and drain hole and the upper one is the vent hole. There's no real way to see what's inside.

wbeaton

Commander

If it is gear oil then the lower unit seals are bad, which they usually are in motors of that vintage.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best way to be sure is to crack open the drain screw and see what comes out. If it looks like a vanilla milkshake then you need to reseal. Those are good motors, I have one and it. runs great

Rudes003.jpg
[/IMG]

PSBrant

Recruit

The oil that came out looked and smelled like "NEW" 10/40 type Engine oil , it was nice and clean. I would say there was about 1/4 of a quart of oil that drained out above the Propeller. I am wondering if the Old fellow that I bought it from put some oil where it shouldn't have been , Thinking he was filling the LU or something ?