1957 Sea King 5 hp has a couple problems

Noah9988

Recruit
I got this outboard for free and found one piston to be froze up with rust. It was so bad I had to get a new (used) piston and rings. The coils broke apart and I got two new ones. After much fiddling I have a few problems that I can't find answer too anywhere.

1. The outboard will start and run on the high speed jet beautifully. The issues comes when you throttle it down. There's an indicator on the twist grip and it points to stop, slow, shift, start, and fast. The thing will not idle if I put the throttle below start. I found that this is the exact time at which the throttle plate on the carburetor closes completely. So as soon as the throttle plate is fully closed it dies. I can lower the throttle to the point where it is running on the low speed jet. Also note that I have set the throttle cam so it starts moving the actually throttle rod when the line on the plate is in the middle of the follower. I'm not 100% sure this is correct.

2. The stator plate was wobbling a lot. I had the stator plate retainer (the silver colored one) on upside down because that's how it's shown in the manual. I flipped that piece around and it doesn't move nearly as much but when the throttle is turned down it still moves up and down and makes noise. Any ideas on how to remedy that?

3. I have read that you set the points when the arrow on the cam is at the end of the point arm. However, this doesn't actually open up the points fully. If I were to set them there, it would open more than the .020" it specifies. Should I set the points when they're opened fully or when they're at the arrow?

Thanks.

Willyclay

Captain
Welcome to the forum. The members here are great and should be able to help you resolve these issues with that great old motor. My comments are: 1. If it "dies" when the throttle plate closes, then it is not running on the low speed jet. Clean that passage thoroughly! While the cam-line may line up with the roller, wear in the linkage may be affecting that timing. Try to set it by throttle plate movement. 2. No comment. 3. Recommend you use a VOM or light bulb to set the points. Good luck!

Noah9988

Recruit
Welcome to the forum. The members here are great and should be able to help you resolve these issues with that great old motor. My comments are: 1. If it "dies" when the throttle plate closes, then it is not running on the low speed jet. Clean that passage thoroughly! While the cam-line may line up with the roller, wear in the linkage may be affecting that timing. Try to set it by throttle plate movement. 2. No comment. 3. Recommend you use a VOM or light bulb to set the points. Good luck!
Thanks. I have cleaned the low speed and I think it's running on the low speed because I can throttle it down enough for the knob to change how it's running. I did set the cam so it opens the plate at the mark. And yes, I will try setting the points that way instead. I ordered new points and condensers because one of the point arms got bent.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1. The dial plate wording rarely is accurate. Think of it more as fast is thisaway and slow is thataway. Throttle plate should just start to open at mark is correct.

2. some wobble is expected, unless really out of reason.

3. Set points to open 0.020" at widest opening. That is "good enough", and probably will cure your idleing issues as well.

Noah9988

Recruit
1. The dial plate wording rarely is accurate. Think of it more as fast is thisaway and slow is thataway. Throttle plate should just start to open at mark is correct.

2. some wobble is expected, unless really out of reason.

3. Set points to open 0.020" at widest opening. That is "good enough", and probably will cure your idleing issues as well.
Thanks for the advice. I have a multimeter and I can see my timing marks on the flywheel and stator plate so I'll set them that way. Is it accurate to say that if it's idling while the cam follower is on the mark of the throttle cam I should be good?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, good idle on both cylinders is good. Adjust carb needles on a boat on the lake for best running. As for the slow speed needle, adjust as lean as possible without sneezing or stalling.

BTW, make sure coil laminations are not dragging on flywheel magnets.

Noah9988

Recruit
Yeah, good idle on both cylinders is good. Adjust carb needles on a boat on the lake for best running. As for the slow speed needle, adjust as lean as possible without sneezing or stalling.

BTW, make sure coil laminations are not dragging on flywheel magnets.
When the plate was flopping they did rub. I found pictures on how to position them so they don't.

When I get the new parts I'll post a video of it.