1957 evinrude having problems with adjustment

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys

Im having trouble setting the carb on my motor . If I turn the high idle screw all the way in it stays running . Plus Im having trouble getting it down in the slow speed setting . The motor shifts fine f--n-r . But Im having trouble with the idle screws if i turn the high idle screw all the way in she will stay running . also she is hard starting some of the times . I checked the points with a feeler gage and they seem to be at 020 thousand of an inch . What Do I need to do to solve this problem . I think its out of time and the something id funky with the carburator . I tighten down the high idle screw and if my memory is right the high speed idle screw is leaking gas . But after I tighen it up it disapered . I may have to take that carb off and check it out again im not sure . what would happen if the float is not set right . Please help me fix it , I would like to use to go fishing soon .

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1957 evinrude having problems with adjustment

Im tired and lost for now . Tommorow is another day . I seen a post some other members told me to check the points , I did that its at 020 thousands . My next door neighbor said to me it seems like its out of time , maybe I checked it wrong , im unsure but i used a feeler gage to check popints . there brand new and are looking fine . Hey but the good point is it now will stay running . also when you clean out the carb what passages do you clean . You remove the lead shot ?. The needle for the high side looked a little worned out but I had that on a car carb and it riun after in clean it with sand paper . I know I can make a new point om the needle , but the seat is part of the carburator casting . Oh just to let you know the tank is rebuilt and its getting fuel fine . the tank holds pressure when i release the cap it makes a sound from the gas , thats fine as i can tell . I know if i go over my work and get some help it can be fixed . She will kick the water out of the drum in forward its got power as i can see . Better than my old 5 hp motor .

lindy46

Captain

If you have good compression and spark, then move on to a carb clean/rebuild. The high speed needle is blunt and the low speed (top) is the pointy one. If the low speed is worn, you can put in in a drill press, spin it and smooth it out with some emery cloth. High speed, just clean it a little with emery cloth. If the seat in the casting is worn/chpped, there is nothing you can do about it. Take the carb apart and soak everything in carb cleaner. Then I use spray carb cleaner to blow out all the passages. Remove the welch plug on top and clean the little holes underneath. No need to remove the lead shot. New packing which comes in the kit, will solve the leaking.

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well I need to check the carb over again . I may need a new kit again this time .More cleaning and recheck the points too .

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

@Lindy46

Can you fix the seat in the casting by using a drill to clean it up a little bit, I mean by hand not with a drill . Those model carburators dont have brass removable seat or a metal type . There was a little wear on the needle for the high and low speed needles . It seam like it I placed it with my finger some way it would run smoth . It should die out when you turn it all the way in right . But my carb is running the motor with the high needles turned all the way in . So I maybe leaking air somewhere . what would cause that to happen . Im going to buy a new kit from omc today and start over . Im going to clean the carb to get all the passages right Witch ones do you blow compressed air in to clean it out .

lindy46

Captain

If the seat is chipped, gas can get through - that would explain it running with it "closed". If you drill it out, the hole will be too big. I don't know if anyone else has had any success fixing that problem. I usually just look for a used replacement carb and rebuild that one.

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I hope its not chipped like your telling me . The is to look at it the high speed needle valve , the low speed one I think is ok . Ill look at it very well before Iuse the new rebiuld kit from omc .

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well guys it looks so far that the carb is ok nock on wood . Now Im going to recheck the points for proper gap . Using the working on the cam set . Im going to use a My multimeter set to continunty setting for proper setting . I use the set to the two lines in the center of them on the magneto plate and use large line on flywheel for number 1 cyclinder and line two the smaller one to the same setting in the center of the two lines on the magnato plate . Im going to check them now and take my time doing so . its nice out today for saturday afternoon . I hope she pop's on the first or second pull . not hard starting and she can be proper set too .