1957 evinrude fleetwin points adjustment and other things too .

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Im trying to properly set the points on my 1957 evinrude fleetwin 7.5 HP . The points seen kind of tight right now , I know you set them at 0.20 thousand of a inch . But my feeler gage is kind of tight when I place the feeler gage in them . Also when Im setting the points I use the indcator at the top on the crank shaft marked top , right . Do I losen the screws that are on a angle and set them in and out as needed to , To get the proper setting right . . Also My magneto plate is tight and causeing my gears to slip on the tiller handle . Im getting a little of play in the magneto plate , but not that much . As far as strating I should be ok . Just one more thing , When I rebuilt the carburator I had placed the lead shot ball in the low idle passage welch plug in that passage under the welch plug , I was looking on marineengine.com and it looks like the picture showed that it go's in there . But after reading some other posts I find that the lead shot is for a drilled hole at the factory when the carb is built . Is this true and will . Will it run with that in there . Please let me know .Im ok with compresion and should be ok with the fuel tank after I rebuild the tank with the kit comming in the mail .

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1957 evinrude fleetwin points adjustment and other things too .

Well I think the points are ok after checking them , the coils are brand new and are one;s made in germany . Im lost on the lead shot , I placed it in were the welch plug is . Is that wrong , the parts diagram from marineengine.com shows it going under the welch plug , it dont make sence to me but it ordered one from ebay and placed it in there . Ill see if it runs fine if not then i need to find a welch plug . I think a small engine shop will have one that will fit in it . I have a shop in town I can check with .

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What part number are you referring to?

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The carb welch plug 27x309 thats whats on marineengine.com . Im unsure if I can find a welch plug from some shop that repairs lawnmowers . Its not going to matter , just seal the hole tight . I also placed the lead shot ball in were the welch plug is . Is that right . Just wondering . Thats the way I seen it on marine engine.com from there parts list . It wont make sence . But if I have to remove that lead shot ball from under the welch plug Im going to need a new welch plug . You know that size it is by the way . It make is it easy to find it too .

AlTn

Commander

the lead shot is to plug the small hole forward of the core plug, not under the core plug < welch plug >...that shot rolling around in the chamber the core plug covers will affect the idle mixture w/o doubt..can't give you the diameter of the core plug

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont want a new carb kit just a welch plug . I think I maybe able to get one from a dealer .

AlTn

Commander

yeah, if you have a dealer nearby, just take the top of the carb with you...the dealer here has a bag of plugs he's collected over many years...just eyeing one to take home yielded another visit for me..fwtw

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called the dealer they have them in stock . Im going to drill out the plug and take it with me to the dealer . That way I will know if its the one . I can match up the size . Ill remember that the lead ball go's now . Not in the low passage idle ports for the welch plug . I really thought it did'nt go there , but you never know .

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To check the timming I can use a timming light to see if my points are at the right gap . I see they have timming marks like on a car . I would like to get a timming light .

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You need a timing fixture in conjunction with a test light/analog meter to set the points exactly. Message F_R on this forum, he makes/sells them.

AlTn

Commander

agree completely with High Trim....the timing fixture will be of more use than a timing light on your particular engine

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The manual dont show a timing fixture , Just setting them with a feeler gage . I dont see where it said to use a timing fixture . I did see something that you use to set the coils in the right place , but not a timing fixture did i over look something .

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Magneto Armature Plate)
(J. Reeves)

If the armature plate has a a loose fitting, wobbling motion (the plate that the points, coils etc are attached to), it is usually caused by a slightly worn support ring. This allows the point setting to change erratically as the armature plate turns.

The cure is to remove the armature plate so that the support which is attached to the powerhead with 4 screws is visible. Then, with a screwdriver and hammer, or some tool of your choosing, and looking straight down at the support ring, make an indentation at what would be called the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions. Install the armature plate and check for a smooth turning wobble free movement.

You may need to do that procedure a few times to obtain the proper fit (not too tight, not too loose), but it's worth the effort.

Use a small amount of anti corrosive grease between the aluminum ring and the brass support plate and also on the brass bushing of the armature plate when all is well.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2: Should the cam have the word TOP imbossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The timing fixture was mainly used by mechanics. It was not really meant to be bought/used by owners. If you only have 1 outboard that you tune every couple years, buying a fixture might not be practical for you, simply using feeler gauges might be best. I do a couple a week, so the fixture is ideal fo rme. Feeler gauges are not perfect though, whereas the fixture sets the points EXACTLY, and more importantly, sets them to fire exactly 180 degrees apart. Franks tools are very reasonable to buy, he also sells the coil ring you mentioned.

nwcove

Admiral

as joe reeves stated,(note 1 and 2) and from the first post, it looks like you are trying to set the points from the word "top" on the cam, "top" is not a reference to the top of the cam lobe, or tdc on the motor, it just shows that the part has to be installed with "top" up.