1957 evinrude fleetwin lower unit found small amount of water .

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guy and girls .

I was draining my lower unit today and found a small amount of water in the lower unit . I was wondering if the water can get in from the drain and fill hole screws . I did'nt see any plastic washer behind the screws . Is there suppose to be plastic washers behind the drain and fill screws . How do the check if the front prop seal is leaking oil , or some other place on the lower unit . The best way to check the seals for leaks . Will I be safe to operate the motor . I only found under tablespoon full of it . when I ran the motor I never seen or heard any noise .

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1957 evinrude fleetwin lower unit found small amount of water .

Oh Its a 7.5 hp motor . I forgot to tell if it matters.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If it did not have any seal washers behind the drain/vent screws, that is most likely you problem. Drain and refill the lower unit and install the seal washers. Take it out for a test run and then recheck it for water.

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can I get the seals from the auto store like auto zone . Also The oil was not milky . So I think its a good thing right . But I can get a kit for the lower unit a napa right . I know I will Have to pull the power head on this motor . The seals look strait and forward to replace , I have exprience working on my own cars american and imports , So with the manual I should me ok right .

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I don't know about auto zone, but NAPA carries a line called SIERRA which will have have the parts you need.
If you have a manual you should be OK.

duckland23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok then Ill head over to napa in the morning for some washer made of plastic for the lower unit screws .Ill try that first I may take it out on the water this week its going to be in the 80's over on wenesday this week . Im going to rent a boat close to me so I can go fishing soon . But after I get back I can drain it and see if I have water in it . If I do then Im replacing the seal in the lower unit .