1957 35hp evinrude help

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1957 35hp evinrude (powerhead very clean) replaced carb,fuel pump, wiring, tiller handle, plugs, and redid lower unit. I have 70% comp but it wont start, when i pull to start it wants to start but wont.
any help please. If i don't figure this out I may sell it as-is for $200 dollars

Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1957 35hp evinrude help

Good luck trying to get $200 for a non runner.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Start from the top:
Compression ? Is that 70 lbs even across both cylinders?
Spark on both plugs using a spark tester (1/4" gap, bright white spark) ?
If those are OK, then try spraying some pre-mix gas in the carb throat and starting it. If it starts, then the problem is still fuel related.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

What tx1961whaler said, plus what is the low speed jet set at, 1 1/4 turns from lightly seated?

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

yes 70lbs straight across, spark is good, and the 2 high/low adjustments seem to be correct. as for the price, that is what Zacho sports told me it is worth (parts) the lower unit has been rebuilt, and all the other parts replaced, they told me i could sell the lower unit for $200 alone since everything was replaced on it. i will have the carb pulled again and see what that does. I was going to get a new powerhead, but was told that the powerhead maybe good, just needs a little cleaning. Thanks for all the impute. being a rooky I think I am learning something here. lol

thanks,

lindy46

Captain

70psi seems a little low for that motor. My '57 Lark runs 120-125psi. Did someone add a fuel pump as that motor should be running a pressure tank.

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

Am I to assume 70psi is bad? I was told fuel pump replaced, although I may have miss understood.

lindy46

Captain

70psi is low for that motor. The good sign is, both cylinders are the same. I'd try pulling the plugs and pour a little Seafoam in each cylinder, with the cylinders pointing up. Let it soak for a day or two and re-check compression. Does your gas tank have a single fuel line or a double line? If it has a double fuel line, the motor has no fuel pump, and the tank is a pressure tank. Air from the engine pumps into the tank through one line and the pressure forces fuel into the carb through the other line. There is a primer button on the tank to initially pump fuel into the carb. The gas cap must be tight to allow pressure to build up in the tank. With a single line tank, there is a primer bulb in the line to pump fuel into the carb. Once running, a fuel pump then takes over. The gas cap is vented on a single line tank.