1957 35 hp questions

R. Bushie

Cadet
rolmops, Paul;<br />A couple questions regarding my 57 35 hp E.<br /> 1. ROLMOPS mentioned he has a "setup to recoup unburnt fuel" can this be explained? The 35 can be a thirsty critter and any aid to reduce fuel consumption is worth knowing.<br /><br /> 2. I have been using J6C plugs since rebuild and yet the manual specifies J4C, is there any advantages to plug selection other than it has been reported that the J6C is better for slow speed operation, such as extended trolling. Most of my engine use is at speed where "conditions allow". Normal ops is to bring the engine up to WOT then back off to bring the "fuel saver system" into use. Would there be any advantage to use the J4C?<br /><br />These are great engines and it is always a joy to be on the water with this old 35.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: 1957 35 hp questions

Curious about my fuel saver ??<br />It is really just an adaption of what many later engines have as a matter of course.Instead of having unburnt fuel drain away into the exhaust,it is picked up with a little vacuum hose and sucked back into the crankcase.My engine came with this adjustment and they seem to be quite common.Paul can tell you the nitty gritty. It works well at wot.You can save about 20% of otherwise unburnt fuel.The bad part is that the recouped fuel is holding a lot of oil.I use 1:32 so I stay within limits.<br />As for J4C or J6C.It is not all that crucial.Just dump some seafoam in your fuel every so often and run a few minutes at wot after trolling in order to burn off any build up.

R. Bushie

Cadet

Thanks "rolmops" for your info. my engine does have a return line noted as "oil return" is this what we are talking about when you refer to "setup to recoup unburnt fuel"? This is a very small diameter line. If this is the item in question what have you done...increased the diameter of the hose to increase the return of unburnt fuel/oil for further recouping of this unused fuel?<br /><br />Again is there any advantage to install J4C's instead of the J6C's I'm running at present...better performance etc. This engine seems to enjoy the J6C's, but never tried the J4C's.<br /><br />Also are you saying that this engine will run with a 32/1 ratio without any damage? I had asked this question to numerous folks and they leaned on both sides of the 24/1 and 32/1 ratio question. A little concerned with tinkering with oil/fuel ratio

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The valve you are talking about is just a simple reed valve at the bottom of the intake manifold that unloads unburned fuel, and oil. If you look at the linkage from your throttle arm that attach's to your stator plate, you will see a heavy wire link that goes to the spring loaded throttle plate on the carb. At WOT, when you retard the throttle about 1/4 of the way, the stator plate stay's at full advance, and the throttle plate goes about a 1/4 closed.This is supposed to be a fuel saving measure. This linkage is fully adjustable. OMC had a name for this system, but I am drawing a blank on what they called it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

As for fuel/oil ratio,it is a matter of opinion.<br />The original is for an SAE 30 nondetergent oil. As in car engine oil.We have developed TCW-3(Two Cycle Watercooled oil)this is a much better oil.In 1962 or 3 OMC announced that these engines could be run on 1:50 because of the type of bearings used.This was unfortunate for a lot of these enginesbecause the owners did this with sae30 which by now often had a detergent in it.Running on the safe side with plenty of oil is a bit smoky and will cause quicker carbon buildup. 1:32 seems a happy medium to me and works well.