1956 Johnson 15hp Seahorse Resto

babysdaddy

Cadet
Long story short, I took a 1956 Johnson Seahorse 15hp that the seller's wife said had to go along with $60. I was told that the last time it run was in the mid 90's and had sit in the shed since then. The motor is locked up presently and I have decided to attempt to bring it back to life if possible. I have placed to motor so that the spark plugs are facing up and have poured penetrating oil into the cylinders hoping that it will free the piston rings so that enventually I will be able to turn the flywheel. I have just started the process and I will get a manual soon. Any one has any experience with this or a similiar engine your input would be greatly appreciated. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1956 Johnson 15hp Seahorse Resto

If it got stuck from just sitting, it should break free relatively easy. Just give it time. Those are great motors and very reliable. What you are doing is correct.

AlTn

Commander

Zephyr is up for cannonization as Patron Saint of 2cyl. OMC's prior to 1970...j/k.<kinda>..if you'll google...duckworks max restoration of 1956 johnson 15hp....his articles might help you as well

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I have to admit, the old twins prior to 1970 have been my most common tinker toys. :D

babysdaddy

Cadet

Thanks for the Duckworks info and for seconding my hunch that this may be a worthwhile project. Any suggestions as to where/how to purchase parts when the time comes. Also does anyone know if reproduction owners / service manuals are available for this engine?

AlTn

Commander

I can tell...I saw a 1959? Johnson 10 hp...no lower unit...strong runner according to the owner..100bux..just the cowling with the old fins look was cool...I might have to go back Monday and bring it home...is this how it starts?...desire overcomes reason?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You can try any of these places:

sea-way.com
engine blade and prop.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
trixieslanding.com
mmmarinesalvage.com
tcoutboards.com
http://www.nymarine.ca/piclist.html Paint and decals

babysdaddy

Cadet

Thanks to all for your help. Zephyr I will explore the sites that you suggested.

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

BabysDaddy
The biggest tool right now is Patience!
Don't force the flywheel with wrenches or anything.
I've got a 55 Johnson CD12 that sat in My brothers basement
for about 20 years. We don't know how long it hadn't run,
as the Guy that stored it there disapeared and never came back.
I let it set about 2 weeks with kroil in it. Every time I walked past I would give it a twist. it finally broke loose.
I did tune up, impeller, lower unit service and carb rebuild to it.
I ran it all last summer. It's a great motor.
When I first started working on it the compression was only about 60psi. After a couple of runs it went up. I ran Seafoam pretty heavy in the fuel. The last time I checked it the comp. was about 80psi.
As far as the $60 price tag on Your motor, I would of paid that in a heart beat for that motor.
That motor is way high on my "Want One" list.
Good Luck
Steve A W

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Start by removing the gearcase to ensure that it is in fact the cylinders that are frozen.

A 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone works well to free them up, just be patient as stated.

Lots of parts are still available from the dealer, or from iboats.

Service manuals on ebay, keep an eye out.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I can tell...I saw a 1959? Johnson 10 hp...no lower unit...strong runner according to the owner..100bux..just the cowling with the old fins look was cool...I might have to go back Monday and bring it home...is this how it starts?...desire overcomes reason?

I usually buy them complete......but yea. That's the idea. LOL You should see the 1941 Johnson I just tore down tonight. :D

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

desire overcomes reason?

Reason would dictate that if you have a million outboards in your basement, so that your wife needs a multitude of ramps and rope swings to get at the washer/dryer, you should stop buying. Desire is the little demon on my shoulder saying, buy, buy buy!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Good one Chris. :D:D Fortunately, I only have 4 in my collection so I don't look like an addict as of yet, but I do like to surf Craigs List a lot and been tempted many times to add more. LOL

babysdaddy

Cadet

I have a manual on the way! I have one other question why transmission oil to free the pistons? I have been advised by several to add T/O into the cylinders to free sticking rings.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Personally, if it were my stuck motor, I'd tear it apart. Yes, you may free it up, but that same dampness that stuck the rings to the cylinder walls has likely watermarked the crank and bearings, too, and it'll be short work before your motor sounds like a coffee can full of BBs. Better find find out now and fix it than to find out later...

babysdaddy

Cadet

I have access to an original 1956 Evinrude parts manual. I think that the Johnsons used the same powerhead components. Is that a correct assumption? Please let me know.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Personally, if it were my stuck motor, I'd tear it apart. Yes, you may free it up, but that same dampness that stuck the rings to the cylinder walls has likely watermarked the crank and bearings, too, and it'll be short work before your motor sounds like a coffee can full of BBs. Better find find out now and fix it than to find out later...

Yes, I totally agree with this, especially after I started to go into my old HD-20. Compression was 60 psi on both cylinders, but when I tore into it, I found that the number 2 rod journal was badly water marked and the rod was excessively worn. If I would have got it running, it may have lasted 5 minutes

babysdaddy

Cadet

Saturday was a good day. I received a Seloc service manual(I will get a OEM later) and an OEM parts manual in the mail. I had been asked to come to a friend's house to see if they had something that would be of interest to me. I arrived at the house and was asked to come to the garage. In the corner was a 1956 Johnson 15hp Seahorse:D. I could not believe my eyes:eek: I went up to the engine and slowly pulled the cord. It pulled thru with good compression:D Smooth and a distinstive "Thunk-Thunk" Did I say I was one happy camper? I will still continue to return the original engine to service. BTW the engine still has not freed itself so I will break the powerhead down for an overhaul:facepalm:. What is the worse that can happen...Spare parts for the "new engine"? I will post the progress in this thread. Photos to come... For now I'm off the reread the Top Secret File Sticky.

babysdaddy

Cadet

Okay, I was warned. I am ordering an OEM Service Manual for this engine. Seloc has general information for these engines, but not enough specific information for overhaul of the FD-10.:facepalm: While I am waiting does anyone know how to separate the powerhead from the lower exhaust assembly? Thanks guys!!!!:confused: