1956 ? Evinrude fleet twin 7and half hp what year

wbeaton

Commander
Re: 1956 ? Evinrude fleet twin 7and half hp what year

It is a 1958 and the last year they were made. I have 7.5 hp's from 1954, 1955, 1956, and 1958. The 1958 Fleetwin and its my favourite.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a nice little motor. You'll need to replace the impeller before you think about starting it.

FISHBGY

Cadet

she,s going to sell it looks like brand new,whats it worth? she said he only used it twice,then went on the railroad

wbeaton

Commander

Value is too variable. However, it doesn't have much value eitherway. That motor will need new coils, impeller and possibly gearcase reseal and carb rebuild. Est. $100-150 in parts. I see those motors go for under $100. Tuned and running I'd ask $200-250, but I probably wouldn't get it where I am. Realistically I'd probably get $150. Too many of them still around. If that one is truly "like new" then someone may pay more. Personally, I'd offer $100 if its really like new. $40-60 if not. I think Peter Hunn's "Old Outboard Book" puts the value at $250 with the pressure tank for a good running nice original. Her's is not in running condition. I can gaurantee the coils are bad.

I live in Southern Ontario only a couple hours away from the former Canadian OMC plant so that also factors in. Where you live may make a big difference in price.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wayne's last line is important. Make sure you get the pressure tank with the engine as it requires a special tank (dual line) and newer tank will not work.

FISHBGY

Cadet

thanks for all the advice,i finally talked her in to letting me pull the cover,*!!%$#@!&*!!! it is brand new,Wayne don,t think this one needs coils,if so all the new ones if there are any are bad also. thanks again for the info.tank has some funk in the bottom.don,t think it,s salvagable but it looks new!

freddyray21

Commander

pretty much bet it needs coils. The coils on those went bad just from sitting. I bought a 57 7.5 almost the same kind of deal looked new and only gave 30 dollars for it, but my deal was rare. Wayne has got it right in good running condition around here about 300 with a tank or if they have been converted to a fuel pump. In order to get that on to that condition figure 150 for parts. So about a hundred like it is would be top dollar.

wbeaton

Commander

Wayne don,t think this one needs coils,if so all the new ones if there are any are bad also.

I didn't understand the last half of your comment.

New coils are available from your local marine dealer or right here at iboats. iboat's coils with be much cheaper than the dealer and some would argue better. Two coils at iboats will set you back about $40.

Try to run it with the original coils if you want. It doesn't make any difference to me. However, I'd write these part numbers down just in case.

BRP 584477 or Sierra 18-5181

Also, you can clean the crud out of the gas tank. Lots of different methods for it. Dump a handful of nuts or bolts (count them first so you know how many to retrieve when you've done) into the tank, add a bottle isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and shake like crazy. The varnish will come up - in time.

Attachments

• 1972 Bad Coils.JPG
    1972 Bad Coils.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

First off. Don't sell it. You'll never get what it's worth. A motor that new of condition is something to hold onto. Anyone who comes to me with $300.00 for a motor like this, can take a hike.

Second: I would just pull the armature plate off and clean and inspect the coils. Don't autimatically assume they are toast, unless you see them cracked. Some of them can hold up for years, if they're stored in an area, that has a pretty consistant temperature. Just check all the connections with the spark plug leads and make sure they are clean and rust free.

Re-lube everything that moves and replace the waterpump impeller.

Pull the spark plugs out and ground them properly and dump some fuel/oil mix into the carb. Pull the rope and cycle fresh gas into the crank case, before you even try to start it.

It sounds like a nice motor. I hope you have fun with it.

Leon

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Leon, you would probably never get what it's really worth if you tried to sell it. If it were me, I'd put it on a Jon Boat and run it, but you may not have a boat to run it on, I don't think you said whether you did or not. But, you can clean it up and lube everything and just keep it.

Anyway, I think we all would like to see some pictures of this perfectly preserved motor. You can take some pictures and download them on www.photobucket.com and then put them on this thread using the web address of the picture on photobucket.

freddyray21

Commander

the bottom line is it is worth whatever you can buy it for and are willing to pay for it. If you can buy a brand new Cadillac for 50 dollars then what is a brand new Cadillac worth? A well preserved motor like that is rare, but the statement you won't get what it is worth is a bit of reach.