1956 7.5 carb

aaind

Seaman Apprentice
The the hard stone like gas filter in the bowl,should you be able to blow through it ,mine seems hard to get air through it ?

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1956 7.5 carb

Probably plugged/varnished up. Try soaking it in carb cleaner and see if it cleans up. I believe replacements are still available.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yes, but it would be advisable to install an inline filter elsewhere in the system...

aaind

Seaman Apprentice

when I ran it it acted like it not getting gas ,the gasket for the bowl was broken ,and when I pumped up the tank I heard a winning noise in the carb area ,could it be gas trying to get through the filter or the gasket leaking ?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Pumping up the tank does give you a bit of a squeech-squeech sound from the carb as it fills. Did the glass bowl fill? A leaky gasket should be dealt with...

aaind

Seaman Apprentice

I do have a bad gasket ,but seems like that stone like filter is plugged also ,I dont remember a gusher of gas coming out but dint look at it ,but had to run with choke 1/2 out to keep running ,and then not even that worked

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Easiest way to check the filter is to put your thumb over one end and blow through it. If you can blow through it easily, it's good... Obviously, not a good idea if it's still dripping gas, and don't inhale through it...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would try lindy46's advice. Soak it over night in carb cleaner. It most likely has antique gas in it, that has hardened up into a shellack. It's very nasty and hard to get rid of.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The symptoms of a clogged filter are: If you can get enough gas through it to fill the carburetor and start the motor, it will run normally till the carburetor runs out of gas---maybe half a minute or so. You can further test it by removing it temporarilly, if your tank is clean that is. If your tank is not clean, it will clog the filter in short order. BTW, there is a fine filter screen in the tank, at the bottom of the pick-up tube. So the one in the carburetor is a second line of defense to grab chunks of hose, etc.

Those filters are meant to be replaced when plugged, however some people have reported success in cleaning them.

nwcove

Admiral

ive had good luck using engine de-greaser on the in-tank filters used on the light twins.