1956 30hp johnson idle problem

SuperMe

Cadet
I've just tried this outboard for the first time last night. I can get it to start and run fine as long as I put it into forward gear so that I can open the throttle wide open. It runs great at wide open throttle with a nice spray pattern from the jet, but nothing at idle it just dies. I can't see anything coming from the idle holes in the carb.
I took the carb off and aprat blew out all the passage ways and still nothing. I don't have an idle fuel circuit working.

Anyone know why?

Thanks

wbeaton

Commander
Re: 1956 30hp johnson idle problem

Sounds like you missed some gunk. Did you clean out the idle/intermediate holes under the welsh plug at the low speed jet? Where did you set the low speed jet? Should be about 1 full turn out (left) from gently seated.

SuperMe

Cadet

Yes, I cleaned out the idle holes and got some black gunk out. And I also set the needle one turn out and still nothing. I tried the needle in many positions and it made no diffence.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check compression. mine has 135 psi on both. then reclean the carbs. it's a very simple engine. go the faq section and see Joe Reeves carb settings.

SuperMe

Cadet

The compression is fine and I cleaned and set the carb again. Still nothing at idle.

I've noticed a small leak of fuel through a gasket made of anarobic sealer, just past the the reed valves. Could I also be loosing vacuum here. So that there is only enough to draw fuel at WOT?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You mean the one between the reed plate and crankcase? If it is leaking between the upper and lower cylinder chambers, it won't run right. Same thing in the area of the rubber valves that pressurize the gas tank.

I'm not so sure a person can see the fuel spray from the idle holes. But won't debate the issue. Maybe.

One turn out might not be quite enough. Try another half turn. Can you keep it sort of running by squirting some mix in with a spray bottle or partially choking it by putting your hand over the intake?

wbeaton

Commander

If you are losing vacuum you need to re-seal where the leak is.

You said you tried the jet set at other settings so I assume that's not your problem. Are you getting enough fuel? How is the filter in the bowl? Hows the tank?