1955 Johnson Seahorse 10hp

jroberts24

Cadet
This is in reference to the topic I posted two days ago. I really appreciate all of the many people that responded to the topic. I have narrowed the carb problem to a problem with the gas going from the sediment bowl to the carb bowl. Everything else is good. The motor will crank right away, but dies after the gas in the bowl is gone. Leave it alone for a few seconds, and it will crank again. If you keep trying to crank it, it won't crank. The tank is holding good pressure and there is no air leaks in the fuel line/connections or the carb. The float and needle valve is alsow working good. So, that leaves the port from the sediment bowl to the carb bowl. Can the little rock looking filter clog? It is held on by a screw. Will it mess anything up if I take it off and clean it? Any input would be much appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />jroberts

alcan

Commander
Re: 1955 Johnson Seahorse 10hp

Yes take the filter/strainer off and clean it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: 1955 Johnson Seahorse 10hp

Hello.<br />I had the exact same problem on my '57 after I replaced my 1957 filter for one that was made in the nineties.As it turns out, the newer ones are a fraction wider than the old ones.The result is that the the rubber seal between the glass and the metal top of your bowl seals the top section of your filter as well. Only about half of the gas that should come through actually does.<br />My solution was making sure that the filter on the pickup inside the tank was good and I took the filter out of the bowl.<br />The engine has run great, ever since.<br />Happy fishing.