1955 Johnson QD-16 so close..........

OldSmoky

Recruit
Hey there! I am completely new to boating and have a few questions. I recently inherited one of these wonderful motors from my grandfather. I found a 2-line tank that was in great shape and holds pressure well. I put together a new fuel/air line and it is doing a great job getting fuel to the carb. However, it doesn't seem to be getting past that point. Again I am completely new at this (and engine repair in general) and don't really know the names of all the parts yet. The reason I say it isn't getting past the carb is because my sparkplugs are completely dry. When I get it to fire it sounds promising for a few seconds then dies out. I tore apart the carb and the cork float seems to function fine. I fiddled with the high speed and low speed needle things as well. Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Getting this motor running means so much to me. Sure, I could go buy a new one but it isn't about that. Well, if you have any tips please let me know. I thank you for your time.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1955 Johnson QD-16 so close..........

Did you actually clean the passages out in the carb with carb cleaner and blow them out with compressed air? Sounds like it's still clogged up..

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Sounds like a carb cleaning is needed. Not too difficult on those older, simpler carbs. Pull it, disassemble, clean...make it spotless, re-assemble, re-install then follow the basic carb adjustments posted on this forum. If you don't want to mess with, a local small engine/mower shop will probably do it for a few $$.

eavega

Lieutenant

If you do have the carb apart, go through the trouble of changing out that cork float for a newer rubber one. They may look fine, but if you start using the motor with regularity, the cork float could disintegrate in the bowl, causing you to have to open up the carbs again, clean them again, make sure you get all the little pieces of cork out, and put in a rubber float anyway.

-E

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You said you have fuel "to the carb". Does that mean fuel was "IN the carb"? If it had fuel IN the carb, it should go the rest of the way. You could toss a screaming cat through the passages in that carb (if the needles are open around a turn).

Dry plugs is a lousy indicator of whether or not it is getting fuel. They not supposed to be wet...that indicates too much fuel. Use a logical troubleshooting approach to isolate the real problem before tearing into something like the carb. The first thing you should check is compression. If that is good, the next thing you should check is spark. Will it jump a 1/4" gap in open air? By now you will have found your trouble.

If they have not been replaced, the coils are bad. They always are in those old OMC motors.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

OldSmoky

Recruit

Thank you all very much!!!! I want you all to know how greatful I am for the direction! I will go through all of the steps that were suggested and keep everyone posted on the progress. iboats has a great thing going here!