1955 Johnson 3hp

livinfulltilt

Seaman
Awhile back last summer I acquired both a 57 evinrude 35hp and a 55 johnson 3hp (JW-11) as part of a package deal. Being that its cold out, I have started to finally get some other projects done and would like to restore this little motor. This little 3hp isnt seized up and pulls over easily, but Im not quite sure if I want to make it a running motor or a display piece for my home. Before I decide, can anyone tell me if this motor is at all valuable? Im sure its not very rare as I have seen many of them in the area, but I need to know before I decrease its value by restoring it. Any help is appreciated!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1955 Johnson 3hp

Well, they are valuable in the sense that they are saught after. But don't expect to retire on the proceeds. "Decrease it's value by restoring it". Amen. My experience has always been that restoring is a money losing propositon. Best find is an unmolested motor in excellent condition.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JW Johnnys are sought after for their superb performance. I think they are the best outboards ever made for what small outboards do.

To me, a display-only JW would be like a muted Pavarotti. I would get her running and let her shine at that in which she excels.

kbait

Commander

Coils/points/carb kit/impeller/gear lube. Not molesting. Once running in VG cosmetic condition, it'd fetch about $400 or so here in Mn.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

I wouldnt be looking to sell it for profit. Im just worried that its too rare to repaint and bring back to original factory condition. Any thoughts?

I would be looking at repainting it the original color, redoing the johnson lettering etc, and changing the engine a bit. Was thinking about taking the engine completely down, media blasting the old worn paint down to bare metal, and polishing out the aluminum parts for aesthetics.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The JWs are not a real rare motor. Great motor! And loved though.

My opinion on this is if it is a very nice factory original in good shape, I like to leave them alone and try to preserve them.

If it is getting rough, I soda blast and repaint/decal.

When I first started restoring motors, I started soda blasting all of them. There were a few nice choice originals I now wish I would have left alone. Live and learn I guess.