1953 evinrude big twin tune up help

scot

Seaman Apprentice
1953 Evinrude big twin 25hp . dry stored unused since 1961. replaced coils, points, condensers and cleaned carbs. will not start . backfires loudly but no start. what do I do next? Carb settings should be what? points .20.

Attachments

• photo292595.jpg
    photo292595.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Try initial settings 1 1/2 open for the idle screw, and 1 open for the h.s. If it runs, let it warm up then adjust settings.

Water pump service is always a first priority for a stored motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Too much gas (flooded) can make it backfire too. Too rich to fire, the gas is expelled into the exhaust housing, where it can be ignited by a cylinder pop and explode with a bang.

You sure you have the points set correctly? I suppose you held the cam down, right?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If flywheel key is missing there likely will be no spark at all to make it backfire.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
After I carefully rewired my 6hp I managed... to switch spark wires :facepalm: ....it never started till I switched them back

so as racerone suggested...check all plug wires sh... happens

I also applied weed ...and grass killer:laser: on my dandelions....wrong bottle :stupid:
my lawn looks different now and wife not very happy

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I see folks fertilizing their lawn in the spring and then cutting the grass every 5 days.----I sprinkle a case of beer on my lawn in the spring.as it makes for a lot less work.---------Reason is -----The grass comes up " half cut " already.

scot

Seaman Apprentice
tried again. no start. points set- key inn place. pulled a back muscle.

lindy46

Captain
Is it still backfiring or not firing at all? If no fire, try spraying some premix into the carb. If it's backfiring, the front-most coil fires the top cylinder.