1952 Johnson 25 runs rough

Ed L

Recruit
My 1952 Johnson 25 was taken out first time in several years. Impellor was just replaced, and points cleaned and regapped. I had a newly mixed tank of gas, but I forgot to agitate it (in retrospect). Motor started rather easily, idled smoothly, and ran near full throttle for about 3 minutes when I slowed down. On resuming higher speed, it began running roughly similar to a rich engine with slowing and sputtering every few seconds. No carburator jet adjustment improved it. Leaner led to progressive slowing, and richer resumed rough running. It ran smoother at lower speeds, but not great. Full throttle resulted in slower engine speed than 3/4 throttle. Twice as I returned to dock it abruptly died as if fully throttled back. Restarts were harder, but on starting, still the same behavior. The sediment bowl had some rust particles. Ideas? Could this be slugs of oil rather than oil/gas mixture? The boat is hours from me, so I prefer to know what to do before trying to go back and taking it out again.

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1952 Johnson 25 runs rough

Congrats on get this ole boy running againI would bet you have a dirty carburator. The oil comeing in globs is not likley, bordering on the imposible.<br /><br />If you can find a rebuild kit your in business. if not very carefuly try and take it apart and clean with carb cleaner and compressed air the best you can.<br /><br />But all the plugs need to be removed and paggages cleaned, and new plugs put back in. The old one's cant be reinstaled because they air destroyed on removal.<br /><br />Good luck!

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 1952 Johnson 25 runs rough

If you had rust in the sediment bowl, then it's very likely that you have a clogged high speed orifice in this motor, and possible a clogged needle and seat, as well.<br /><br />A thorough carb cleaning is in order. Follow that up by putting an inline filter in the fuel line from your tank. Use a nice big automotive one so you get no restriction of flow. That will help keep particles from the tank out of the carb.