1952 Impeller ?? With Pictures

Fester

Seaman
Please look below to see a few questions I have about replacing the impeller in a 1952 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5HP. I had a horrible discovery when I opened the motor and there was not impeller to begin with so I had nothing to compare the new one to.

There is a notch on both the impeller housing and rub plate and the rub plate used to have a little tab of metal that seemed to lock into the housing (see below) The tab fell off and I need to know if I need to fabricate another one. How important is it that it be locked together and what is the small slit in the rub plate for???

pic2.jpg

I shaved down the 18-3001 impeller to fit the housing and it sits flush inside the housing and is easily covered by the rub plate. The issue I have it that the slot hole in the housing seemd to get covered by the impeller and I need to know if I need to shave down the inside of the impeller to allow it not to cover this slot. WHAT IS THE SLOT FOR??

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic3.jpg

After I replaced it I ran the motor with no pee stream and shut it down after about 20 seconds and you could fry an egg on the block. Someone please HELP!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1952 Impeller ?? With Pictures

The two parts need to be keyed together by that tab. Or somehow at least assembled in the right relationship.

The slot is the water inlet to the pump. The slot in the plate is the water outlet out of the pump.

Do you have the flat stainless steel spring that holds the parts tight together? It won't work without it.

Fester

Seaman

Am I understanding you correct that if I can get the rub plate and housing to stay together as with the tab that this will work? Theoretically? And what about the holes, does it look like the impeller needs to be shaved down? Or is it OK? I have the spring that mounts on the bottom of the housing to push them together, everything seems to fit perfect I just need to make sure that the impeller itself will not cause a hinderance allowing the water through the inlet and outlet.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Dang, I just did my 1950 7.5 last summer but forget exactly how it went. Here is a pic of the 1953 LU, I believe its the same. I have the full parts manual for the 1953 7.5 if you want to send me a PM with your email I can send it to you.

Was the spring #19 there? It's keeps tension on the housing.

So there was no impeller there at all? Not even a piece or hub? Quite surprising that someone would remove it and not replace it!

Attachments

• 1953 7.5 LU.jpg
    1953 7.5 LU.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 4

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

ok, I found a pic of mine from the summer. Now I know why I take pics of everything. It looks like my plate has a tang on it, so they must line up then.

Sorry I don't have a pic of the impeller itself.

Attachments

• 1950 7.5 Water Pump Housing.jpg
    1950 7.5 Water Pump Housing.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2

Fester

Seaman

Thanks for the pics and the offer for the manuals but I already have the manuals. I see the pic you posted and I do have the spring that butts up on the housing. I am hoping that if I can get the rub plate to stick with the housing this will work. And YES, I was surprised as well about the impeller. I was needing something to compare the new one to so I knew what I needed to do so imagine my shock when I found NOTHING! Since the tab broke off I am going to try to lengthen the edges where the tab was with a hammer and bend the excess down and in so it will fold into the groove on the housing. If anyone has a better idea of how to do it please let me know. Wish me luck.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Good Luck!

I wish I had a good pic of the impeller for you but I don't. Luckily the one I had was good. Let us know what happens. I use my '50 7.5 almost daily in the summer... Right now it's snowing heavily and it's in the shed!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The timing of when that slot opens and closes is probably as important as how far it opens. It has to open as the chamber starts to expand and close as it starts to contract. That's all I know. I've never attempted the ground-down impeller thing.

Fester

Seaman

Well, it's a no go guys. I did everything I know to do to get this to work to no avail. I have the exploded view and have verified that I have all of the parts and did the following. If there is anything I missed please let me know otherwise I am just going to take it to a local shop.

1. Re-notched the rub plate to lock into the impeller housing
2. ground down the impeller to fit the housing.
3. groung down the inside of the impeller to allow for the intake hole not to be covered and allow water flow.
4. regreased the lower spring and housing to allow housing to move freely.
5. ensured the impeller was locked solidly in place on the drive shaft key.

After doing all of this I have no sign of a pee stream.

P.S. I was advised that due to this model having a clutch that I would have to remove the powerhead to get to the lower unit. What I found is that if I remove the piece off the lower unit that contains the intake filter that there is a release pin for the shift shaft that allows the entire lower portion with the propeller to be removed nd allow access to the impeller. It takes about 1 - 2 minutes to gain access instead of the 20 minutes it takes to remove the powerhead. Just FYI....

Thank You All for your information, help, and advice!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Well that sucks. You did what I would have done also.

And yes, they're very easy to take apart aren't they. It's the later 7.5's ('54 on) that have a full F-N-R shifter that you need to remove the powerhead to unhook the shifter, same as the 5.5's.

I'm not sure if taking it somewhere will help. I know of nobody that would work on something that old. My local shop only works on '74 and newer. Does your local shop actually work on them? I would think you'd find more knowledge on this forum than a local shop but I could be wrong.

One last thing. Is it possible that shredded impeller parts are clogging the water feed line? The impeller must have been removed fpr a reason at some point and disintegration is the main culprit of the old rubber impellers. Try blasting air up it or water from a hose or something, see if water actually flows or if it's plugged.

Good luck. Let us know what happens please. (especially since I have one of the old buggers!)